PCD Cochairs 2008-12-23 Webex

From IHE Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Patient Care Device Cochairs Weekly Meeting

Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 Note: meetings have moved from Thursday to Tuesday

Time: 3:00 pm, Eastern Time

Duration: 60 Minutes

Proposed Agenda

Review Discussion Summary last two meetings
Planning for 2009-2010 budget
-Grants
Review PCD Governance Wiki
- With attention to PC, TC votes (is a majority sufficient, what if there is a tie), implementation date
PCD PC & TC Roster Pages
Review Google Groups wiki list
IHE International (IP, quorum, elections)
- IHE Australia update
- IEEE MoU
- IHE International: Incorporation Status
- How best address incompatibility of interoperable systems that may affect patient care
Update on Connectathon / Showcase Activities
- Identifying real systems
- Issues Bikram raised (non-IHE systems, multiple vents, Cerner coordination)- how best to respond, guide developments
HIMSS session at AAMI - Ray, Todd, Manny and anyone else who would like to participate
Cycle 4 Proposals Update PCD Proposals 2009-2010
Action Items
IHE Marketing (WSJ Continua article)
PCD Wikis
Next meeting Jan. 6
Other

Attachments / Materials

Discussion Summary of earlier meetings December 9, 16: PCD Cochairs 2008-12-09 Webex, PCD Cochairs 2008-12-16 Webex

Action Items Brought Forward

Number Action Owner Participants Due Date Status Comments
55 Showcase vendor display policy Steve Merritt Ray, Elliot 12/16/08 OPEN Will include in draft Domain Governance document. Issues may exist with third party devices brought by Cerner and Capsule this year. Waiting for Chris Carr, Didi to provide direction on bi-directional distributed demo. Todd’s draft will be the basis for Steve’s efforts. Steve will draft something addressing this and the related action items. Todd will resend his draft.Also see #57.
57 Develop PCD governance document. Ken Cochairs 12/16/08 OPEN Supplements the IHE governance document (e.g., quorum and non-quorum meetings). See #63 also. Ken developed a draft and Didi and Lisa will be asked again to review it. It will then go to a PC and TC vote.
61 Analyze, publish results of stakeholder survey Ray 1/6/09 OPEN Ray is talking with WG4 in the HIMSS/AAMI/ACCE CE-IT Community, and possibly in BI&T.
63 IHE Governance: IP, participation in F2F, etc. Ray Cochairs 1/6/09 OPEN Didi addressed some of the questions at the F2F. Add Quorum issues to Ray's discussion IP with Didi. Ray will incorporate in Governance and submit to IHE. Also see #57.
70 IEEE MOU Todd Elliot 12/16/08 OPEN Concern on two issues: use of IEEE intellectual property, need to establish mechanism to continue and maintain the RTM effort. Todd was to ask IEEE for update. Todd to contact Elliot.
74 Clinical Recruitment Steve Cochairs and PC 12/16/08 OPEN
  • (Zambuto) Review IHE membership to identify recruitment opportunities.
  • (All) Identify invitation opportunities for participation in the October F2F.
  • (Cooper)Update profiles wiki page so as to capture the attention of clinical reviewers.
  • (Zambuto) Ask Mario Castenada re. KP participants (perhaps also Michael Robkin)
  • (Cooper) To contact Rick Schrenker re. profile proposal review.
  • Manny will talk with Cristal Anderson about possibilities. He asked for emails with suggestions.
77 Monitor HITSP development of RMON and coordinate a demonstration with HITSP. Todd Paul 1/6/09 OPEN Todd has not heard back from Joyce about how best to proceed. Paul said Continua is working on requirements documents, and anticipates that January will see progress.
78 Foster collaboration with Continua and monitor developments. Coordinate with Didi, Joyce. Todd Paul 12/3/08 OPEN Paul will act as a point of contact to foster communication between PCD and Continua. Coordinate with Didi.
82 PCD to develop MOU with CIMIT Ray Ken 10/23/08 OPEN Defer interest in year ‘round lab. Develop an MOU intended to enable coordinating profiles, similar to the Continua document. Ken will open discussion with Julian re the MOU.
83 OPEN


Meeting Summary

Participants

Cochairs: Todd Cooper, Ken Fuchs,Ray Zambuto
Cochair elects: Steve Merritt
HIMSS: Elliot Sloane, Didi Davis
Technical Project Manager: Manny Furst

Discussion

Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
The principal focus of this meeting is funding for the future.

Decisions/Issues: Action(s):

2 Review Meeting Summaries
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
No comments were received about meeting summaries.

Decisions/Issues: Action(s):

3 Action Items Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
  • 26:
  • 55:
  • 61:
  • 70:
  • 74:
  • 77:
  • 81:

Decisions/Issues:

  • Deferred

Action(s):

4 Funding Possibilities
- All
Status/Discussion:
  • Funding for the future:
  • Increased number of companies and profiles requires more support.
  • The proposed profiles, in particular DPI, will require significant support.
  • Timing is important; other organizations may produce conflicting requirements if PCD lags.
  • Elliot suggested that grant opportunities will result from the stimulus package from the new Congress in the first one hundred days. Elliot speculated that HIMSS may be in position to seek funding, but IHE International and IHE USA incorporation must precede any IHE grant proposal. The HIMSS Board’s goal is to have IHE USA incorporated in July, 2009.
ANSI and others will seek funding to repackage HITSP’s work.
HITSP will show multiple demonstrations in the Showcase.
Remote monitoring will likely be included. Partnering with industry may be an aspect.
  • Didi had mentioned the possibility of seeking a third sponsor for the PCD. Elliot suggested thinking outside the box. Any approach would need to avoid compromising HIMSS and IHE support. Didi offered to make the approaches to other organizations.
  • Non-profits would only be a possibility through 501c3 organizations, such as ACCE. Continua has a 501c3 foundation. ACCE as a 501c3 could provide the organizational structure. Didi was receptive to this approach. Elliot also asked about the possibility of seeking corporate funding and how IHE could permit or support this approach. Didi requested more information about the goal – project, development, demonstration, deployment/implementation, etc. The funds would need to flow through a non-profit.
  • For example, Continua has a 501c3 foundation. Similarly, ACCE as a 501c3 could provide the organizational structure. Didi was receptive to this approach. Elliot also asked about the possibility of seeking corporate funding and how IHE could permit or support this approach. Didi requested more information about the goal – project, development, demonstration, deployment/implementation, etc. The funds would need to flow through a non-profit.
  • HIMSS.org has provided HIMSS’ suggestions to the Obama transition team. Didi noted that HIMSS grant support and their Government Relations group are staying close to the transition team.
  • Elliot suggested that a series of accelerated demonstration events are necessary, with testing events.
  • HIMSS has issued a report "Call for Action: Enabling Healthcare Reform Using Information Technology." It "outlines specific priorities and recommendations for the Obama Administration and 111th Congress to harness IT's power to reform healthcare and stimulate the U.S. economy."

Didi suggested that the cochairs digest the HIMSS Call for Action, seek synergies with PCD's present work, with marketing direction, and HIMSS. The cochairs should formulate some concrete ideas and then hold another discussion. Elliot noted that the PCD group that is involved with the Connectathon and Showcase would be a natural supporting group. Didi also suggested considering how PCD can approach policy/risk management/other issues that arise from devices connected to EMRs. Elliot noted that the Virginia HIE will partner with Social Security for a demonstration regarding clearing disability claims and how this may be relevant.

  • Didi suggested a follow up call with HIMSS Advantage to explore private funding. That would follow another PCD cochair meeting to define the goals. She referred to the Call for Action for synergy.


Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

  • Manny will set meeting on Jan. 8 and Didi will set meeting for the following week with HIMSS Advantage.


Next Meeting

The next meeting will be January 6, 2009 PCD Cochairs 2009-01-06 Webex

<For Decision Meetings, add review line here when minutes are approved; e.g., "(Reviewed & approved by PCD RTM Vent TG 2008-04-16)">


PCD Home