PCD TC 2014-05-07 Webex

From IHE Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Patient Care Device Domain

Meeting Purpose

TC Regularly Scheduled Meeting

WebEx Information

Topic: PCD Technical Committee

Regularly Scheduled Meeting Time

Time: 11:00 am, Eastern Time (New York)

Duration: 60 Minutes


1. Agenda Approval
2. Review Discussion Summary PCD TC 2014-04-30 Webex
3. Announcements
4. Status: TF, Supplement, Other Documents
- Ballot to Modify DEC NK1 Segment PCD CP grid CP 102
- Discuss CP 101
5. Action Item Review (Last reviewed Jan - through 118, Feb - through 159, Aug - through 164, rest not reviewed)
6. Additional Business
- AAMI showcase, invitations for Friday dinner, ACCE reception Sunday
7. Next Meetings:
- PC May 28 PCD PC 2014-05-28 Webex
- TC May 14 PCD TC 2014-05-14 Webex and May 21 PCD TC 2014-05-21 Webex

Action Items from Previous Meetings

See PCD Technical Committee Action Items.

Significant changes, other than dates, will be in bold.


  • Published and Draft Versions of the TF, Supplements, Other Documents:
- The PCD ftp site has draft versions.
- Published (and possibly in the process of being replaced with new versions):
o http://ihe.net/Technical_Framework/index.cfm#pcd
- and there is a list of CPs, which may, at any given time, affect a published document. The list is at


  • Not Yet Published:
o ftp://ftp.ihe.net/Patient_Care_Devices/Profiles/



Chair: Jeff McGeath
Todd Cooper, Paul Elletson, Kurt Elliason, Al Engelbert, Ken Fuchs, John Garguilo, Tom Kowalczyk, Jon Lachman, Jeff McGeath, Monroe Pattillo, John Rhoads, Jeff Rinda, Paul Sherman, Stan Wiley, Manny Furst


Discussion Summaries do not require formal approval, while minutes of meetings where votes are taken do. Participants are encouraged to review and bring up significant issues with discussion summaries of previous meetings. Votes will be taken to approve meetings where votes took place; these may be email ballots.

Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair

Decisions/Issues: Placeholder

Agenda approved


2 Discussion Summary or Approval of Minutes
- Chair
Discussion Summary of previous meeting(s):
Review Discussion Summary PCD TC 2014-04-30 Webex



3 Agenda Items
- As Noted


3. Announcements
- Several at HL7 meetings in Phoenix. Ken; asked about CP 97 – static and dynamic use for OBX-4, the more we talk the more confused we become. Jeff M; If there's more concerns, we should discuss it more, maybe constraining it to the pumps. Ken; some questions about dynamic and static issues. John G; rules and testing must be considered for single device and gateways with multiple devices. He suggested several folks and meetings of a “tiger team”. Have to accommodate several modes, are we doing a good job capturing correct data from devices and gateways. Will require a group to address this, with senior participants to focus on the needs. Hope to describe generally in the TF, then describe constraints in implementation guides, content modules, special Vol 2 modules. Members: Todd, Chris C, Ken, Paul Sc. Could be a topic on Thursday Standards and Tooling meetings. Paul E; some met after last weeks call, he sent notes to Paul Sh.
Action – Paul Sherman will send a request to the PCD group organizing discussion of CP 97 and OBX-4.
Action – Form a 'Tiger team' to work on it.
4. Status: TF, Supplement, Other Documents
- Ballot to Modify DEC NK1 Segment PCD CP grid CP 102.
Out for Ballot now. Pretty small in scope, simple. Didn't have a use case that required it until now. Have 3-4 votes now, another 8 or so, we'll be in good shape.
- Discuss CP 101
First comment – Doesn’t EUI-64 need to be required for certification? Yes, but until then, if running ethernet, can have a derived EUI-64. Monroe suggested that other unique identifiers could be used in a testing environment, but not for certification where the application must be unique and in an installation the individual device must be unique and can include the MAC address. If it's in an app, then the EUI-64 is instance unique. Don't believe it's instance unique. Need to be clear on EUI-64's intent. Todd – doesn't recall a division, believes it's a source device identification. If you have a NIC, then there's a unique identifier. May not apply to DEC. Background: DNS3 was using another ID, PCD has decided to use EUI-64, wanted to resolve conflict. Will need to work out a Connectathon table – need to know this prior to testing. Does EUI-64 need to go through IEEE? John R – had to think about design goals, some goals; Definitively ID info source (trouble with RS232 devices); for gateways, will need source ID, not just gateway ID. John G – needs to be predetermined or derived from the message. Need it established before the Connectathon, and maybe Pre-Conn. Validation requires having pre-defined identifiers for testing and they need not all be EUI-64 for this purpose. Do we have what we need to validate? John R – real world deployment will be an issue as well. John R - CP takes away DNS option, which is good. Jeff M – Needs reworded, to include NIC based EUI-64.
Other comments –
o Spelling,
o RS 232 legacy devices, how does this get resolved (gateway devices)? No simple answer. John G – whatever identifier to use, if we have a table with any format, we can validate the tests.
o Jeff M will follow up with Ken on serial/legacy comms, how to resolve it. Plus need language to clarify EUI-64 sources.
5. Action Item Review (Last reviewed Jan - through 118, Feb - through 159, Aug - through 164, rest not reviewed)
6. Additional Business
- AAMI showcase -
Manny stated the materials (slides, handouts, etc.) should be final this week and there will be no need for further meetings. He reminded participants of invitations to Friday’s dinner and the ACCE reception.



Next Meetings

The next meetings are:

- PC May 28 PCD PC 2014-05-28 Webex
- TC May 14 PCD TC 2014-05-14 Webex, May 21 PCD TC 2014-05-21 Webex

PCD Home