PCD TC 2010-11-17 Webex
Patient Care Device Domain
Regularly Scheduled TC Meeting
Topic: PCD Technical Committee Meeting
- Regularly Scheduled Meeting
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 10
Time: 11:00 am, Eastern Time (New York)
Duration: 60 Minutes
- 1. Agenda Approval
- 2. Review Discussion Summaries: November 3 PCD TC 2010-11-03 Webex
- 3. Profile and Work Item Update
- TF update - Ballot Update
- Waveform attribute technical note
- Event Communication
- Work Item Priorities
- 4. Terminology Update
- 5. Tooling Update
- 6. Action Item Review
- 7. Additional Business
- 8. Next Meetings
Action Items from Previous Meetings
Significant changes, other than dates, will be in bold.
Chair: John Garguilo
Bikram Day, John Garguilo, John Leung, Khalil Maalouf, John Rhoads, Paul Schluter, Ioana Signureanu, Erin Sparnon, Khalid Zubaidi, Manny Furst
Discussion Summaries do not require formal approval, while minutes of meetings where votes are taken do. Participants are encouraged to review and bring up significant issues with discussion summaries of previous meetings. Votes will be taken to approve meetings where votes took place; these may be email ballots.
Item Topic Discussion 1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Agenda approved
2 Discussion Summary or Approval of Minutes
- Discussion Summary of previous meeting was accepted
- - TF passed the ballots. John Rhoads noted that the TF will be revised in response to the suggested changes and both volumes will be reballoted.
- - The Spring F2F will be in Boca Raton, 3.5 or 4.5 days, starting Monday or Tuesday, May 2 or 3.
4 WCM Waveform Attributes
- WCM Waveform Attributes - reference: Paul's document: WaveformAttrs.2a.doc
- - Option A: The simplest, judged “kind of ugly” but workable. This requires repetition of the attributes. The benefit is that it conforms with PCD use of OBX-4. All attributes are clearly defined at the facet and subfacet level.
- - Option B: Common attributes would be placed in a “wrapper” and all levels that follow will be subject to these attributes. Concerns were expressed about ambiguity and the potential for years of discussion.
- - Option A+IP3: This provides a way to provide common attributes (e.g. ECG bandpass filter) while also permitting individual channel attributes. This would work well for current PCD requirements. Harry Solomon suggested the use of OBX-21 to be an Attribute Group, with a pointer from OBX-5. Paul expressed concern that this is new to v.6 and may not be widely understood or used. It will utilize descendent OBX’s to contain the attributes of the group and this may be breaking new ground.
- - Paul recommended option A for the present, and address a different approach in the future if the number and complexity of filters justifies the more complex approaches. He noted that IDCO would like a pointer to a group of OBXs, and selection of a different option may address their interest as well. However, that is somewhat tangential. This is consistent with HL7 and IEEE standards, and the overhead of repeating the code is negligible. If, in the future another option is required he recommends A+IP3. He also noted that some attributes are global (e.g., time offset) and need not be repeated.
- - John Rhoads endorsed this recommendation, providing simplicity until such time as complexity would be required. He agreed with Paul that if an option is considered in the future A+IP3 would be the preferred approach.
- - Ioana agreed that Option A would work, and suggested using a delimiter to separate these groups, perhaps with a null group.
- - John Garguilo asked what would be included in the X73 containment tree, when it is developed, and that this may be a contribution to that effort. Paul noted that there is a pulse oximeter in the Continua program that provides waveforms that is consistent with Option A. He noted that attributes generally are at the facet level. Paul added that this approach should be consistent with existing parsers as well as being consistent with HL7. John Rhoads agreed that attributes of a metric (including waveforms) are appropriately represented with this approach.
- - A straw ballot revealed that most abstained, with Khalil, John Rhoads, Paul in favor, and no objections to of recommending this to the WCM WG.
Decisions/Issues: The straw poll provided a recommendation that the WCM WG utilize Option A.
5 RTM Update
- The WG issued an update recently. Paul will add LOINC terms for the hearing screening program. He will add some neuromonitoring terms.
6 Tooling Update
- John Garguilo
- John requested feedback if there are issues or just a need for clarification.
The next TC meeting will be December 8 PCD TC 2010-12-08 Webex The next PC meetings will be December 1 and December 15.