PCD Cochairs 2009-04-14 Webex

From IHE Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Patient Care Device Cochairs Weekly Meeting

Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Time: 3:00 pm, Eastern Time

Duration: 60 Minutes

Proposed Agenda

Review & Approve Agenda
Review Discussion Summary last meeting March 31, 2009
Review Joint PC & TC Agenda for 2009.04.15
IDCO Ballot status
HIMSS '09 "take away" Discussion
  • Issues arising?
  • Head count for HIMSS 2010
  • Refocusing the Showcase Message
2009 Spring F2F:
HITSP Update
  • ARRA - 90 day refocusing & CmDC
  • SDE#2, Continua & RMON Deadline
2009/2010 Budget
  • HIMSS Fiscal Year & Budget
  • ARRA-related activities
IHE International
  • IHE International: Incorporation Status
  • New Members: Baxter + Asia Regionals Status Update
  • IP Management Process
- Draft Disclosure Process
- Draft Disclosure Form
PCD Web Updates:
Cycle 4 Development Update
  • PIV & Proposed San Diego F2F Meeting
  • TF Revision Update
  • RTM Update
  • ACM: Gap Strategy + Additional Domains
  • DPI WP
  • MEM WP
Domain Coordination Committee Update
Organizational Relationships
Action Items
Next meeting - Proposed Agenda

Attachments / Materials

updated with discussion of March 31

Discussion Summary of earlier meetings Mar. 31, 2009, PCD Cochairs 2009-03-31 Webex

Action Items Brought Forward

Number Action Owner Participants Due Date Status Comments
55 Showcase vendor display policy Steve Merritt Ray, Elliot April 14, 2009 OPEN Will add to Domain Process (management) document. Issues may exist with third party devices brought by Cerner and Capsule this year. Will include: Chris Carr, Didi direction on bi-directional distributed demo, display/demonstration of ancillary equipment. Todd’s draft will be the basis for Steve’s efforts. Also see #57.
61 Analyze, publish results of stakeholder survey Ray March 24, 2009 OPEN Ray is talking with WG4 in the HIMSS/AAMI/ACCE CE-IT Community, and possibly in BI&T.
74 Clinical Recruitment Steve Cochairs and PC Open OPEN
  • Carolyn McGregor spoke with Elliot and she is interested in participating. Her interest is largely in data warehousing, and this would be a contribution to PCD. PCD needs to follow up. Ken will follow up with Elliot.

  • (Zambuto) Review IHE membership to identify recruitment opportunities.
  • (Cooper)Update profiles wiki page so as to capture the attention of clinical reviewers.
  • (Zambuto) Ask Mario Castenada re. KP participants (perhaps also Michael Robkin)
  • Manny will talk with Cristal Anderson about possibilities. He asked for emails with suggestions.
  • (Cooper, Jan. 27) HL7/IHE are talking about this subject; there may be an opportunity for PCD
77 Monitor HITSP development of RMON and coordinate a demonstration with HITSP. Todd Paul June 16, 2009 OPEN Todd has not heard back from Joyce about how best to proceed. Paul said Continua is working on requirements documents, and anticipates that January will see progress. Bridget made a presentation last Friday. As a consultant for Continua she didn’t get deeply into the substance as of Friday. Rick gave her a lot of fee rein. She appears to place emphasis on deliverable products. There’s an internal effort by the Wide Area Network Group to determine technical requirements. Continua will demonstrate one possible web services possibility in the upcoming Continua Barcelona meeting. Consistent Method for Device Communication (CMDC) - HITSP will publish something in May for public comment. Need to start with continuity, topology. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. Continua - Proceeding with LAN effort. Their WAN technical group is working on ASN1 over web services. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will likley go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. There have been two recent meetings, including Charles Parisot and Jan Wittenber. PCD offered a model for use, making it clear that there is much commonality for each topological deployments. Todd noted in the meetings that there are regulatory issues and that PCD is sensitive to these issues. Ken and Todd have submitted the NDAs to have access to the Continua documents.

78 Continua John Paul April 15, 2009 OPEN Todd noted that there’s been no response to the NDAs submitted to Continua. There’s been no opportunity to resolve apparent differences by June for HITSP. Paul said there’s been no movement on RMON in Continua. IBM is promoting web services and ASN1. It’s not likely that Continua and PCD will arrive at a single protocol by June. The positive side is that both will use RTM.
82 PCD to develop MOU with CIMIT Ray Ken April 15, 2009 OPEN Defer interest in year ‘round lab. Ken wrote and discussed a draft MOU intended to enable coordinating profiles, similar to the Continua MOU. Ray There’s a question regarding where in the continuum PCD should have an MOU (ICE, MDPnP, CIMIT). MOU draft was sent to Julian Goldman. Paul indicated that an interface engine solution (e.g., Capsule) may meet the needs for bidirectional communication, or connection to the device may need to be more “intimate”. Nothing new re CIMIT or ASTM MOU.


83 Funding Possibilities Cochairs 2009.04.21 OPEN Discuss potential opportunities, focus of proposal(s). DPI, RTM are the highest priorities and most appropriate for foundation funding. Refer to notes of Dec. 23, 2008, PCD Cochairs 2008-12-23 Webex for more information. Grants Advantage responded to the discussion, saying there may be federal funds in AHRQ’s Comparative Effectiveness Research Program and that $3-5K would be required to write the proposal. If Didi doesn’t have funds, perhaps ACCE would support this. Ken will contact Edna at HIMSS Advantage and Jon White and Michael Fitzmaurice at AHRQ, for more information and will ask Edna about private foundation funds. AHRQ discussion last week. Steve noted that their website has some HIT grants with varying funding levels for demonstration projects. The dollar value appears related to the duration of the project. He noted that there’s a website Grants.gov with all grants. Todd will reach out to Wayne Morse for funding of a grant proposal. Todd noted the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) funds won’t be distributed for a little while and that there is a HIMSS ARRA webinar series. Ray received a response from the ACCE Foundation indicating they would be interested in supporting the grant writing, but Ray is hoping that ACCE would itself fund the grant writing.
John Halamka requested input for an article he is writing about optimal allocation of stimulus funding. Elliot will be, and the cochairs were, invited to contribute ideas. The cochairs need to provide Elliot with some suggestions that show this would be an economic stimulus and an investment in future jobs and healthcare benefits in the future.
AHRQ told PCD to wait 90 days. Steve indicated there are some possibilities in existing AHRQ funding. New AHRQ funding possibilities won’t be known before June
ACCE will help fund PCD proposals. AHRQ and NIST may be sources of funds. PCD cochairs will discuss this in more detail at HIMSS.
85 F2F at NIST the week of May 4 Cochairs OPEN Manny will contact John Garguilo to obtain security and other information and then issue a notice.Manny to send a reminder; only a few have indicated they will attend; John Garguilo will research hotels. Only a few responses to date. Ask John Garguilo about IDC participation in the F2F, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday morning. Mostly a separate meeting, some coordination. Need to integrate IDC, know who will attend.
86 HIMSS09 Web Page Cochairs March 24, 2009 OPEN HIMSS09 web page update has made two PCD related links quite visible. These are out of date. Cochairs will review and see if there are other links that might be substituted or if those pages need to be updated. Add to next meeting’s agenda. Todd will update.


Meeting Summary

Participants

Cochairs: Todd Cooper, Ken Fuchs, Steve Merritt, John Rhoads,
Guest: Paul Schluter
Manny Furst

Discussion

Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
Manny could not host the meeting; Todd hosted the Webex session

Decisions/Issues: Action(s):

2 Review Meeting Summaries
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
No comments were received about meeting summary.

Decisions/Issues: Action(s):

3 Action Items Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
  • 55: Showcase Vendor Display Policy - Deferred
  • 61: Stakeholder survey - Deferred
  • 70: IEEE MOU - Completed, close.
  • 74: Clinician recruitment - Deferred
  • 77: HITSP RMON - There was little or no support for PCD efforts in the refocusing discussion yesterday. Ken noted that there was an interest in children’s heath, and that infant care devices could be a way to continue to have HITSP’s interest in device communications. Examples include incubators.
  • 78: Continua - Continua is planning a F2F meeting. The initial proposal coincides with PCD’s F2F. Their standard is not yet publicly available.
  • 82: CIMIT - Deferred
  • 83: Funding Possibilities - Manny to contact Ray to proceed in exploring options. Manny to ask Elliot if he has any guidance on IHE having multiple sponsors, including AAMI.
Manny to ask Elliot if ACC has any money devoted to support PCD’s efforts.
  • 85: F2F May 4-8 - Todd reviewed the more detailed agenda, and discussion followed.
  • 86: HIMSS09 Web Page - Deferred

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

4 IHE International
- All
Status/Discussion:

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

  • Incorporation looks possible by end of June. IP management process was approved. Domain reports to the Board are due in July. It is a high level report.


5 Showcase
- Manny
Status/Discussion:
  • Need to focus the message. Perhaps demonstrations centered on profiles or subjects such as safety, data flow to EHR.
  • The number of companies may double, the number of profiles will increase. PCD participants have joined at disproportionally higher levels of financial commitment.

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

6 Profile Update
- Todd
Status/Discussion:
  • Deferred

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

7 Announcements
- All
Status/Discussion:
  • None

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be April 21, 2009 PCD Cochairs 2009-04-21 Webex

<For Decision Meetings, add review line here when minutes are approved; e.g., "(Reviewed & approved by PCD RTM Vent TG 2008-04-16)">


PCD Home