Physician Reporting to a Public Health Repository – Cancer Registry
Physician Reporting to a Public Health Repository - Cancer Registry describes the content and structure of data to be retrieved from the Electronic Health Record (EHR)/Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and transmitted to the public health central cancer registry or to another healthcare provider.
The Physician Reporting to a Public Health Repository–Cancer Registry (PRPH-Ca) profile provides a means through which ambulatory provider EHR systems can report information on cancer patients to the public health central cancer registry. A single, consistent standard allows efficient and accurate exchange of information while reducing the burden on EMR system-specific or registry-specific implementations.
The PRPH-Ca profile facilitates the implementation of an automated electronic process for the identification and reporting of cancer cases, treatment, and outcomes from ambulatory healthcare provider EHR systems to public health central cancer registries. Public health central cancer registry data are used for surveillance, development of comprehensive cancer control programs, and healthcare planning and interventions. Improved accuracy and completeness of cancer surveillance data impacts all areas of public health interventions. Data also provide baseline measures and performance measures for cancer-related interventions designed to reduce cancer incidence or improve early detection. Automated electronic reporting is expected to reduce labor (for both the ambulatory healthcare providers and public health central cancer registries), and increase the security, completeness, timeliness and accuracy of cancer surveillance data.
The PRPH-Ca profile specifies how to use the HL7 CDA Standard to share information from healthcare providers to public health central cancer registries relevant to a patient’s cancer diagnosis and treatment. This includes the following sections of information:
- Header: The CDA header contains a record of a patient’s encounter for diagnosis and/or treatment of cancer, including patient demographics and provider information.
- Cancer Diagnosis Section: This section contains specific detailed information about the patient’s cancer diagnosis, including histology, behavior, primary site, laterality, diagnosis date, TNM Stage, and Best Method of Confirmation.
- Medications and Medications Administered Sections: These sections contain relevant medications that have been prescribed and/or administered to the patient, including cancer treatments.
- Procedures Section: This section contains all interventional, surgical, diagnostic, or therapeutic procedures or treatments, pertinent to the patient historically at the time the document is generated, including those that are provided as treatment for cancer.
- Ambulatory Healthcare Provider EHR Systems
- Public Health Central Cancer Registry Systems
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
This page is based on the Profile Overview Template