Patient Identifier Cross-Reference HL7 v3
The Patient Identifier Cross Referencing for HL7v3 (PIXv3) Integration Profile provides cross-referencing of patient identifiers from multiple Patient Identifier Domains. These patient identifiers can then be used by identity consumer systems to correlate information about a single patient from sources that know the patient by different identifiers. This profile uses HL7 V3 as the message format, and SOAP-based web services for transport. The profile supports the cross-referencing of patient identifiers from multiple Patient Identifier Domains by:
- Transmitting patient identity information from an identity source to the Patient Identifier Cross-reference Manager.
- Providing the ability to access the list(s) of cross-referenced patient identifiers either via a query/ response or via an update notification.
The functionality of this profile is identical to the PIX profile described in section 2.2.3 of the IT Infrastructure Technical Framework (Vol 1). The differences are in the format of the messages, and in the use of SOAP-based web services. These changes make this profile well suited for use within an existing IT infrastructure for cross-enterprise data access and exchange. The PIXV3 profile supports the cross-referencing of patient identifiers from multiple Patient Identifier Domains. These cross-referenced patient identifiers can then be used by “identity consumer” systems to correlate information about a single patient from sources that “know” the patient by different identifiers. This allows a clinician to have more complete view of the patient information.
The scope of the Patient Identity Feed, the PIX Query, and the PIX Update Notification is identical as that for the HL7 v2.5 messages used in the PIX Integration Profile (i.e. same transaction semantics, same message constraints), however in this version we are providing more details for implementers of the individual transactions, and we are using the 2007 DSTU of the HL7 V3 Patient Topic as the basis of the messages in the transaction.
Cross-referencing and linkage of patient information:
- without the need to define or compromise any specific enterprise policies or cross-referencing algorithms
- providing the necessary interoperability while maintaining the flexibility to be used with any cross-referencing policy and algorithm as deemed adequate by the enterprise.
The Patient Identifier Cross Referencing (PIXv3) Integration Profile supports two domains:
- A Patient Identifier Domain is defined as a single system or a set of interconnected systems that all share a common identification scheme (an identifier and an assignment process to a patient) and issuing authority for patient identifiers.
- The Patient Identifier Cross-reference Domain embodies the following assumptions about agreement within the group of individual Identifier Domains:
- They have agreed to a set of policies that describe how patient identities will be cross-referenced across participating domains;
- They have agreed to a set of processes for administering these policies;
- They have agreed to an administration authority for managing these processes and policies.
All these assumptions are critical to the successful implementation of this profile. This integration profile imposes minimal constraints on the participating Patient Identifier Domains and centralizes most of the operational constraints for the overall Patient Identification Cross-reference Domain in the Patient Identifier Cross-reference Manager Actor.
Systems involved in this profile are:
- Local and enterprise-wide information systems that utilize and patient identity (i.e., admit-discharge-transfer (ADT)/registration systems and hospital information system (HIS ))
Actors & Transactions:
Profile Status: Final Text
Formal Specification: IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework Version 10 or later
- Vol. 1 - Section 23 - Patient Identifier Cross-referencing HL7 V3 (PIXV3) Profile
- Vol. 2b - Sections 3.44 - Patient Identity Feed HL7 V3
- Vol. 2b - Sections 3.45 - PIXV3 Query
- Vol. 2b - Sections 3.46 - PIXV3 Update Notification
- HL7 Version 3 Edition 2008 Patient Administration DSTU, Patient Topic
- Implementers of this profile shall comply with all requirements described in ITI TF-2x: 1355 Appendix V Web Services for IHE Transactions.
- See also:
- Patient Identifier Cross-Referencing (PIX)
- Patient Demographics Query (PDQ)
- Patient Demographics Query V3 (PDQv3)
This page is based on the Profile Template
Current: IT Infrastructure Technical Framework.