Patient Demographics Query for Mobile (PDQm)
The Patient Demographics Query for Mobile (PDQm) Profile defines a lightweight RESTful interface to a patient demographics supplier leveraging technologies readily available to mobile applications and lightweight browser based applications.
Using these patterns, the PDQm Profile exposes the functionality of a patient demographics supplier to mobile applications and lightweight browser applications. The following list provides a few examples of how PDQm might be leveraged by implementers:
- A health portal securely exposing demographics data to browser based plugins
- Medical devices which need to access patient demographic information
- Mobile devices used by physicians (example bedside eCharts) which need to establish patient context by scanning a bracelet
- Web based EHR/EMR applications which wish to provide dynamic updates of patient demographic information such as a non-postback search, additional demographic detail, etc.
- Any low resource application which exposes patient demographic search functionality
- Any application using the MHD Profile to access documents may use PDQm to find an appropriate patient identifier
This supplement is intended to be fully compliant with the HL7 FHIR specification, providing only use-case driven constraints to aid with interoperability, deterministic results, and compatibility with existing PDQ and PDQv3 Profiles. Currently the HL7 FHIR standard is in “Draft Standard for Test Use” (DSTU) and may experience a large amount of change during this phase. Readers are advised that, while the profiled components in this supplement may not accurately reflect the most recent version of the FHIR standard, implementations of PDQm will be tested as specified in this supplement. Changes to the FHIR DSTU will be integrated into this supplement via the formal IHE Change Proposal (CP) process.
The actors directly involved in the Patient Demographics Query for Mobile profile and the relevant transactions between them. Note that the actors in this profile are the same as the actors defined in the PDQ Profile (ITI TF-1: 8.1).
All systems that want to use HTTP RESTful query methods to gain access to Patient Demographics information.
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
Additional Supplements: Appendix Z on HL7 FHIR
- HL7 FHIR STU3 http://hl7.org/fhir/STU3
FHIR Implementation Guide
- PDQm ImplementationGuide
- canonical URI http://ihe.net/fhir/ImplementationGuide/IHE.PDQm
- IHE PDQm Consumer Actor CapabilityStatement
- IHE PDQm Supplier Actor CapabilityStatement
- Note that previously we did publish a StructureDefinition for the PDQm Patient Resource. This has been removed as IHE PDQm does not constrain the Patient Resource at all, and therefore the STU3 Patient StructureDefintion is now referenced.
The conformance resources are also available on the Implementation Material folder.
- Gazelle External Validation Service (EVSClient) and Gazelle PatientManager tools. See the Index to IHE Test Tools for links to the tools and associated documentation.
- Sample Patient Resources and PDQm query & response messages are captured by both the above tools.
This page is based on the Profile Overview Template