PCD Pump 2012-05-02 WebEx
IHE PCD Infusion Pump Working Group discussions.
Topic: IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG
Date: Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Time: 14:00, Eastern Time (GMT -05:00, New York)
Duration: 60 Minutes'
Note: Specific web & phone information will be provided via e-mail to group members.
Contact Manny Furst for more information.
- 1. Review today's Agenda
- 2. Review proposed pump models (modified @ PCD Spring F2F)
- 3. Review proposed Mode / Status parameters
- 4. Plan for DS-IP push for Public Comment version publication
- 5. New Business / Next Meetings
Attachments / Materials
- Chair/Host: Jeff Rinda (Hospira)
- Participants: Todd Cooper (BSF), Paul Elletson (Smiths), Al Engelbert (B.Braun), Paul Schluter (GE), Erin Sparnon (ECRI)
- NOTE: Action Item Review updates have been posted directly to the Infusion Pump Action Items wiki page
Item Topic Discussion 1 Agenda & Discussion Notes Review
- Previous discussion notes not reviewed - deferred to next session
- Agenda reviewed and approved
2 Proposed Pump Model Review
- Reviewed the infusion pump specialization models that were updated based on discussions last week at the IHE PCD Spring F2F meetings.
- General discussion:
- - Though the proposal was to change "LVP" to "General Purpose", Erin indicated that a year ago ECRI changed all GP language in their documentation to LVP based on requests from hospitals. Decision was to leave it as the LVP infusion pump specialization
- - There was a lengthy discussion as to the rationale for breaking out channels for syringe parameters and bolus dose parameters. Key issues included:
- > Support for simultaneous operation of source channels (assigned to specific operational mode capabilities)
- > Maximizing the consistency between the infusion pump specializations
- A key issue that was identified was ensuring that there is consistency and simplicity in how the same pump capability (esp. dynamic operation such as bolus dosing over a continuous infusion) is communicated using PCD transactions.
- Note: The models in the updated slides will be the basis for the information entered into the tools.
- (Todd) Update the model diagrams per the discussion (COMPLETE ... see referenced slide PDF)
3 Mode / Status Discussion
- The infusion pump mode & status summary slide (from the previous discussion) was reviewed.
- Need to distinguish between programmed vs. current operational modalities was discussed
- Examples were provided, such as:
- Set Mode: PCA + continuous + bolus
- Current Mode: PCA + continuous
- Note: in general, an operational mode / capability is linked to an "active" Source Channel (or PCA Channel)
- Paul noted that it would be useful to create a matrix that plotted available modes against the device specializations. Adding the dynamic combinations would be good as well, that is, what is fixed vs. can be dynamically activated / dis-activated based on programmed modes. This would be especially useful in that it would indicate what combinations are disallowed, and thus improving validation of the data stream.
- The current proposed definitions (set & current Mode + Status) will be used for the device specializations that are used in the initial publication. There will be a 6-week period after that to discuss and resolve any open issues before the trial implementation version is created.
4 Next Meeting
- The group decided that the next meeting will be at the 2012.05.23 Infusion Pump WG WebEx.
- Topics will include a review of the published DS documents & data sets.
- NOTE: ADDITIONAL MEETINGS WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE THIS NORMALLY SCHEDULED WEBEX TO FINALIZE THE DS DOCUMENTS
NOTE: Next Meeting will be held during the regularly scheduled time: 14:00 (Eastern) on May 23rd (60 minutes)
(Reviewed & approved by PCD Infusion Pump WG on <TBD>