PCD Pump 2012-01-18 WebEx
IHE PCD Infusion Pump Working Group discussions.
Topic: IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG
Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Time: 14:00, Eastern Time (GMT -05:00, New York)
Duration: 60 Minutes'
Note: Specific web & phone information will be provided via e-mail to group members.
Contact Manny Furst for more information.
- 1. Review today's Agenda
- 2. Feedback from NA2012 Connectathon?
- 3. Recap status of the three primary work items of interest to this WG:
- Device Specialization - General
- Device Specialization - Infusion Pump
- White Paper: IHE Medication Administration Clinical Integration Strategy (joint w/ Pharmacy)
- 4. Recap status of TF-3 Semantic Content:
- Current Ballot Document
- Strategy for sync with TF-1 & TF-2 2012 Updates
- Strategy for CPs that add RTM and other content
- 5. AAMI Engagement
- 6. Plan / schedule for the IP WG:
- Next meetings (webex) of the WG
- March IHE PCD Pump Summit in AFC
- Editorial Schedule
- 7. Review the TF Considerations presentation (from attendee challenged December meetings)
Attachments / Materials
- <add attachments links here>
- Chair/Host: Jeff Rinda (Hospira)
- Participants: Todd Cooper (BSF), Paul Elletson (Smiths), Al Engelbert (B.Braun), Erin Sparnon (ECRI), Khalid Zubaidi (CareFusion)"
- NOTE: Action Item Review updates have been posted directly to the Infusion Pump Action Items wiki page
Item Topic Discussion 1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Reviewed and approved with out modification
2 NA2012 Connectathon
The group had a general discussion about the Chicago Connectathon that was held the previous week. Here are some of the main points:
- - Starting late Monday afternoon made that day almost worthless given what was accomplished the previous year when testing could start by 10:00 A.M.
- - Many people still had to fly in Sunday (especially given the potential weather challenges in Chicago) - which made the late Monday start even more frustrating
- Test Tooling Usage:
- - There were pluses and minuses seen with the use of the NIST tooling; not a strong Better or Worse consensus ... just different
- Showcase Activities:
- - Saturday A.M. was a waste of time for all PCD participants - that was a strong general consensus
- - The Scenario / Use Case Managers were either lost regarding PCD or gave it very little attention
- - Most vendors did informal testing ... while they waited
- - In one case, the wait was so long, that by the time they started to do some official testing ... time ran out and power was pulled to the network!
Though some may see the general integration of PCD and infusion pumps into the overall Showcase as a plus, the other view is that these vendors lose the visibility and scenario presence that they had previously, making the justification of Showcase participation even more challenging.
Also, during the Chicago events, many people complained that Connectathon testing was being increasingly complicated with Showcase related activities. Given the schedule changes this year, this became even more the case.
3 General Updates
- Todd & Group
Todd and group members provided general updates per the agenda items. Key discussion points:
- AAMI Meetings in Daytona: Jeff Rinda, Erin Sparnon & Todd Cooper will participate in the AAMI meetings next week in Daytona; will try to chat with Mary Logan about the AAMI-sponsored IHE PCD activities
- IHE PCD Infusion Pump Summit: Khalid will try to finalize before the end of January a go/no go on a late March infusion pump WG meeting in San Diego; goal of this meeting will be to finalize any remaining technical issues for the draft Device Specialization documents and the medication administration white paper
- Finalization of the draft work item documents will be targeted by the IHE PCD F2F in late April, for Public Comment publication shortly after that
Al mentioned the issue with having some of the pump related terminology formally entered into the ISO/IEEE 11073 standards, especially for key terms such as delivery and source channel identifiers. Todd explained that ...
- The NIST RTMMS tool should be launched for limited initial usage this month (this is where these terms would be proposed)
- Process for new term handling should be determined during the standards meetings in San Antonio this week
- New terms should at least provisionally be added before publication of the Device Specialization work items
4 Technical Framework Considerations
Todd reviewed the slide set that he created to try and address the issues around the IHE PCD technical framework and how to support device specializations.
Jeff noted that a 3rd option should be added to slide #25 regarding the sequencing of containment information in PCD-01 messages. This option would be to limit the updates to a single channel (e.g., delivery or source) per message. This was requested by some DOC systems and would enable them to minimize processing of OBX-4 fields.
- Todd will update this slide set with information received since its last presentation in December, have this approved for release by the co-chairs and then send it out to the infusion pump WG for review.
5 Next Meeting
- The group decided that the next meeting will be:
- - February 1, 8 & 15
- - March 7 & 14
NOTE: Next Meeting will be held during the regularly scheduled time: 14:00 (Eastern) on February 1, 2012 (60 minutes)
(Reviewed & approved by PCD Infusion Pump WG on PCD_Pump_2012-02-01_WebEx