PCD Pump 2009-10-14 WebEx

From IHE Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

(Infusion Pump Main Page)

Meeting Purpose

IHE PCD Infusion Pump Working Group discussions.

WebEx Information

Topic: IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG

Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Time: 14:00, Eastern Time (GMT -05:00, New York)

Duration: 60 Minutes

Note: Specific web & phone information will be provided via e-mail to group members.

Contact Manny Furst for more information.

Proposed Agenda

1. Review summary of last week’s workgroup at the F2F meeting
2. Issues related to implementation for Connectathon
3. Update Action Items list

Attachments / Materials

Discussion Notes

Chair/Host: Jeff Rinda
Participants: Al Englebert, Chad Hays, Brad Lunde, Erin Sparnon, Ruth Berge, Khalid Zubaidi, Colin FX Garstka, Paul Schluter, Kristina Wilson

Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair


  • Agenda was reviewed & approved without modification


2 F2F Summary
- Chair


  • Decision was made to remove DOR as a grouped actor from PIV. Diagrams and tables referring to DOR as an option will be updated accordingly. References in the text will indicate that DOR can be used as a source of infusion information. The IOC-DOR grouping will not be tested at the Connectathon.
  • The CPs having to do with PCD-01 related to Placer Order Number and Universal Service ID will be included in the TF revision that is currently in progress.
  • The reporting for Event information is a complex issue. Discussion revealed three possible options:
1. Leverage PCD-01
2. Extend ACM (PCD-04) to include general event reporting
3. Establish a new transaction for event reporting
A decision was not reached on which approach to use. Todd suggested that depending upon the application, perhaps both PCD-01 and ACM-04 would be used.
  • Syringe pump reporting - changes required to support syringe pumps are minimal. One missing term for syringe size was identified and will be submitted for inclusion in RTM.
  • Discussion revealed that pump information tends to relate more to the pump operation than to clinical workflow. For example. clinicians can program the amount to be infused (VTBI) to a value that is less than the amount available or less than the ordered amount; the pump only knows how much has been infused and how much is remaining.
  • More work is required on PCA pumps. There appear to be terminology gaps in the 10101 spec as well as differences between 10101 and Rosetta.
  • Khalid described the need to bind the device to the patient. An ADT message was considered but does not seem to be appropriate. This is in follow up to Todd’s CP where messages are sent from a CIS to the pump. Currently, the patient is bound at the device. The desire is for both transactions to be available for binding the patient to the pump. There is a time element to this binding. SIU (HL7 Ch.10) was suggested for consideration.
  • Todd described concerns relating to RTM as robust for pumps given historical documentation that is not complete.
  • Pump Events
Reviewed the outcome of the Events discussion. The events needed for reporting of information from general infusion devices are:
The events document including edits from the F2F can be found here:
The group will work on determining event and reporting terminology for PCA devices.
3 Connectathon implementation
- Chair


  • Drug library medications – the group needs to decide whether the drug library represents both medications needed for Connectathon testing and for the HIMSS showcase (note that showcase scenarios have not yet been defined). Al noted that it includes medications that are dose-based as well as rate-based, and Jeff noted that it includes medications which are used in OR, critical care, and stepdown care areas, and that some of these medications are also appropriate for general med/surg and home care scenarios.
  • Rosetta terms - Paul suggested that we review the current Rosetta (dated July 26) to ensure that all dosing unit terms as well as event terms are represented for general infusion devices (dose rate, dose quantity, pump mode, and pump status). Brad, Al, and Kristina will review.
4 Action Items review
- Chair



  • Ran out of time for this discussion.
5 Next Meeting
- Chair


  • Jeff is not available on 10/21, in the absence of a volunteer to act as chairperon for 10/21, the next meeting will be held on 10/28.

Next Meeting

NOTE: Next Meeting will be held on 10/28/2009.

(Reviewed & approved by PCD Infusion Pump WG on 11/4/2009)

PCD Home