PCD MEM 2013-03-22
Patient Care Device Domain - Medial Equipment Management Working Group
Develop a Demonstration at AAMI 2013 conference to showcase messaging between devices, CMMS, alarm management/phones
Topic: PCD Device Comm at AAMI
Date: Friday 3/22 at 11:00A EDT (NY Time)
Duration: 60 minutes
- Explain the long term goal, history, available links
- Describe the goals of this first AAMI demo (indicate feasibility, generate interest and involvement of vendors, users, etc.)
- Identify minimum requirements for the demonstration
- Determine if the minimum requirements can be met by at least one device, CMMS, and AM
- Seek volunteer(s) to develop a poster and help with the handout to include a few sentences and a link to a Wiki page
- Develop wiki page
- Design and provide an 8.5 x 11 “poster” for display in vendor booths “we support IHE PCD” or something similar. This may be useful across the PCD membership.
- Which companies are willing to continue the effort and develop the transactions and Rosetta terms
- Determine if the existing Friday 2PM Webex time is acceptable or a different time is required to continue this effort
- Determine if simultaneous effort on the larger goals should begin before AAMI
- Webex describing the work accomplished to potential participants in advance of the AAMI meeting with an invitation to join and be able to tell visitors at AAMI that they have committed
- Chair: Steve Merritt (Baystate Health)
- Steve Merritt (Baystate Health)
- Al Engelbert (B Braun)
- Bob Gold (Philips, Event Management)
- Carla Gallegos (VP, National Accounts Awarepoint)
- Jim Smith (EQ2)
- Matt Perkins (Chief Technology Officer, Awarepoint)
- Monroe Patillo (PHI, LLC)
- Ray Zambuto (President, Clinical Engineering Concepts)
- Manny Furst (Improvement Technologies, LLC)
- Ken Fuchs (Mindray)
- Steve described the work in the past and pointed to some links to gather more information on this work.
- - Carla indicated that AwarePoint customers are very interested in this capability. Matt added that context, utilization are of great interest.
- - Monroe noted that once the communication connections are established the vendors will determine the message content.
- Manny described his idea to have a device be able to send information from a device to a CMMS vendor
- - EQ2 has volunteered to work on receiving the messaging from a device or system
- - Would also like to show interoperable messaging from RTLS to EQ2
- - The goal is to showcase this at the AAMI 2013 conference
- - This would raise the level of interest among the vendor community and biomedical/clinical engineering community
- - Jim noted that we need to focus on the audience for the intended demonstration with a clear message(s). He suggested that the major CE management systems and RTLS systems are on the AAMI floor. He suggested that the PCD work provides benefits to these vendors.
- o Need a clear mission going into the conference
- o Steve expressed that from a user perspective a demonstration showing some sort of interoperable messaging will generate excitement in the community that this can be done. Then we need to harness that energy to further develop the MEM profiles by solidifying the use cases and getting more vendors involved to solve the use cases with technical approaches. It could then be incorporated to the IHE process with Connectathon and formal Showcase opportunities. Users could then incorporate the profile as a requirement during the technology purchase evaluation process.
- - Need to develop the storyboard to show the benefits of this work
- Jim showed failure data from 30 hospitals. This shows which devices cause the most problems. He identified the lack of utilization data as a significant gap. Because that information is needed the user cannot analyze the impact of failures and this has budget and clinical implications and other implications. E.g., this information can help identify the impact of a PM program.
- Monroe offered two location related examples, including infusion start/stop and patient association to the device. Jim and Carla indicated that this information will generate a great deal of interest.
- Steve summarized the discussion reviewed the list of participants, work to be accomplished and suggested a poll to determine convenient meeting times. We now know some of the systems that will participate in this demonstration and will set up subsequent discussions to determine how to accomplish the demonstration.
- Suggested use cases:
- - Device utilization
- - Technical Alarms
- Systems volunteering
- - EQ2 CMMS - (device condition from B Braun, Covidien; possibly location)
- - Covidien - Pulse Ox (self-test failure? alarms to the AM and to CMMS)
- - B Braun - Infusion Pump (battery, utilization?)
- - Awarepoint - Location system
- - Philips - Event Management (ACM profile device alarm to phone)
- - Cerner - Pump programming (not directly related to this portion of the AAMI demonstration)
- - Manny to poll for a convenient time for future meetings
- - Develop use cases and storyboard
- - Develop messaging to show the solutions
- - Develop posters for demonstration
- - Consider handouts