PCD Brief Profile Proposal 2008 DPI-SYM
1. Proposed Workitem: Device Point-of-care Integration - Symmetric Communication (DPI-SYM)
- Proposal Editor: Todd Cooper
- Editor: <Name of candidate Lead Editor for the Profile, if known>
- Date: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Version: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Domain: PCD
2. The Problem
Within the framework of Device Point-of-Care Integration (DPI) profiles, many participating systems not only report their internal information but also have need for discovering, connecting to and retrieving information from external sources. This discovery and retrieval may be a one time occurrance (e.g., current patient weight), or it may be a persistent connection with specific quality of service requirements needed to support internal algorithmic functions. The information can be from other systems around the point-of-care or from a remote system that is brokered / proxied to the DPI network.
This profile shall support those functions needed to achieve this bi-directional or "symmetric" communication between devices and systems in a DPI network.
3. Key Use Case
<use case with a physiological monitor, ventilator and infusion pump>
Additional use cases include acute care CRRT (Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy) dialysis systems that not only report their status but also need to collect patient "fluids" information (in & out flows; e.g., from infusion pumps) so as to properly drive their calculations.
4. Standards & Systems
- 1. ISO/IEEE 11073 standards, including draft 11073-20302 Optional Package - Symmetric Communication
- 2. HL7 and IHE Publish & Subscribe Standards / Profiles
- 1. This profile is one of the set of DPI profiles. It is dependent on the (proposed) DPI-DnA and DPI-DR profiles.
- 2. The associated standards are either in draft form or need some development. Completion of this profile is dependent on completion of those standards.
- 3. The draft 11073-20302 standard could be seen as overly heavy for applications where a device needs a simple parameter for display.