Newborn Admission Notification Information
Newborn Admission Notification Information describes the content needed to communicate a timely newborn admission notification electronically from a birthing facility to public health to be used by newborn screening programs.
A Newborn Admission Notification Information (NANI) profile transfers basic newborn demographic data electronically to public health programs from a birthing facility. By automating delivery of these basic required data elements, more effective and timelier services can be undertaken. The NANI profile provides accurate data on the number of newborn hospital admissions within a public health jurisdiction. These data can then be used as a denominator to evaluate the effectiveness of Public Health program interventions. This helps birth facilities and state newborn screening programs by facilitating both the evaluation of the quality of care delivered and the capacity for improving care. In the case of EHDI this means determining the number of newborns accurately screened who received follow-up services. NANI also eliminates aggregate reporting by birth facilities, replacing it with individual patient level data.
In the future, the Newborn Admission Notification Information Profile could be used for more than just newborn screening; to improve the quality and quantity of information by other child health programs.
- Newborn screening information communicated to public health is often incomplete and error prone NANI reduces patient errors from mistyped demographic information into public health systems through electronic transfer of patient demographics.
- Newborn screening reporting is often time-consuming for birthing facility staff. NANI eliminates the staff time and costs associated with manually entering basic newborn demographic data for multiple uses.
- NANI automation will result in more effective and timelier delivery of services through accurate information
- NANI will facilitate both evaluation of the quality of care delivered and the capacity for improving care
- NANI provides accurate data on the number of newborn hospital admissions within a public health jurisdiction. These data are then used as the denominator to evaluate effectiveness of Public Health program interventions. In the case of EHDI, this means determining the number of newborns accurately screened who received follow-up services.
The NANI Profile describes the content needed to notify another system of a newborn admission and discharge event. The newborn admission and discharge event notifications are used by the receiving system as workflow triggering events.
NANI includes a new transaction similar to the Patient Identity Management [ITI-30] transaction between an Information Source and an Information Recipient. Content is created by an Information Source and is ultimately consumed by an Information Recipient.
Birthing Facility EHRs might expect to function as an Information Source as could a third party intermediary system (HIE) or public health.
An integrated newborn public health IS, an EHDI IS, a Newborn Bloodspot screening information system, and even an NBS Laboratory information management system (LIMS) could benefit from an accurate count of hospital births. A NANI message can be used to track specimen receipt by the LIMS in Public Health or by the Birthing Facility.
Actors & Transactions:
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
This page is based on the Profile Overview Template