IHE Lab Meeting Minutes 07/19/2011
Back to IHE Laboratory Domain
- Sondra Renly; email@example.com (IBM, IHE LAB Technical Committee Co-chair)
- Francois Macary (ASIP Sante, IHE Planning Committee Co-chair)
- John Ritter (College of American Pathologists, IHE Lab Domain Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Harrison,MD, PhD (CAP, University of Virginia)
- Manuela Cirronis
- Daniel Moncusi (Systelab Technologies)
- Alessandro Sulis (CRS4, Italy – Sardinia)
- Filip Migom (MIPS)
- Francesca Frexia; email@example.com
- Doug DeShazo (ACS)
- Karen Witting; firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Annual IHE ITI Committee Liaison Report (from ITI representative Karen Witting)
- A. The purpose of the Information Technology Infrastructure (ITI) Committee Liaison is to convey the Lab Domain’s needs to the ITI Committee annually. (Note: Karen can offer an ITI Overview presentation upon request.) The ITI Committee’s goal is to build low-level infrastructure profiles for use (and re-use) within IHE’s clinical domains. For example, the ITI Committee is currently developing “base workflow” profile that can be used to help document various clinical workflows. A major intersection between the ITI Committee’s work and the IHE Lab Domain’s work appears in the ITI Technical Framework’s Appendix – which describes how HL7 Version 2 messaging is handled within IHE. Thus, for example, any change made to Appendix C of http://www.ihe.net/Technical_Framework/upload/IHE_ITI_TF_Rev7-0_Vol2x_FT_2010-08-10.pdf might impact messages being sent to, and received from, laboratories. Karen offered the Liaison report to the IHE Board (dated 2011-06-21), stating that the Lab Domain has an open call for proposals (closing 2011-07-07) and that our primary focus is currently the LAW profile. That report will be submitted to the ITI Committee. Note: ITI Liaison reports are located at: http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=ITI_Liaison_Reports
2. Incoming Change Proposals
- A. Sondra moved the outstanding Change Proposals (namely, 168, 169, and 170) into the “completed” folder and created a ballot package. The intent is to ballot these CPs before the face-to-face meeting in Japan. Two vendors may need these CPs to connect their systems in the biggest European hospitals (Paris University Hospitals).
- B. The IHE Lab Domain will likely be able to ballot all three CPs end of this month (July 2011).
3. Domain Proposals Update
- A. Italy (Alessandro Sullies) offered a new proposal to extend the Laboratory Specimen Barcode Labeling (LBL) profile by tracking the workflow steps that occur (1) when a container is labeled and delivered for specimen collection, and (2) when a specimen is collected. The new proposal nearly contains sufficient details for meeting the requirements of a Supplement. Alessandro intends to implement the proposed transactions as a trial with his partnering organization(s).
- B. USA (Jim Harrison) asked that the Lab Domain extend the time for submitting new proposals so that he might draft a brief proposal for a “Laboratory-Clinical Communications” profile. The profile would define laboratory testing –related transactions between LIS and EMR systems. Specifically: (1) Transactions that would handle Order modifications that might occur after a order is received, but before the test is done; and (2) Transactions that would handle problems that occur after a result is reported and that may require additional interpretation and/or communications. The College of American Pathologists would also like some time to identify industry and academic stakeholders who might be able to participate in this work-effort. The group welcomed the request and agreed to extend the deadline for profile proposal submissions to 2011-07-26. This approach will give members a week to review the draft before our next conference call.
- C. Sondra will contact the Japanese directly regarding the proposals (if they are unable to attend the next call).
- D. It would be good to identify particular groups who can implement the profiles (as a trial) and to encourage them to test the profiles at a Connectathon. Though identifying vendors is not a prerequisite for building the profile, the sooner identified – the sooner the Connectathon managers can develop a resourcing plan for the Connectathon.
4. LAW Profile
- A. Question: What role does a “simulator” play in a Connectathon? If a given actor is missing during a Connectathon’s information-flow tests, then a “simulator” can fill the missing actor’s role. Thus, it would be good to check the list of registered participants for the upcoming European Connectathon to determine whether a simulator(s) might be needed to fill a void. Registration for the 2011 European Connectathon will occur in the November-December timeframe.
5.Face-to-Face meeting in Tokyo, Japan 2011-09-19 through 2011-09-21.
- A. Naomi Ishii (Japan) sent an email on 2011-07-16 detailing the hours, location, hotel, etc. of the face-to-face meeting of the IHE Lab Domain. Hotel reservations are due to Naomi by 10 August 2011.
- B. Attendees:
- i. Filip Migom (Yes)
- ii. Alessandro Sullies (Yes, and maybe others)
- iii. CAP expects to send a representative who is ready and able to present the profile proposal
- C. The group intends to work on the new profile proposals at the Face-to-Face meeting.
6. Actions Required
- A. Sondra and John: Send the ballot of the “completed” CPs to the googlegroup by close-of-week 2011-07-22.
- B. Sondra and John: To help insure quorum (if necessary), send reminders to the voters one week before the ballot closes.
- C. Conduct a vote on 2 August 2011 to consider accepting a proposal for two extensions to the Laboratory Barcode Labeling profile.
- D. Conduct a vote on 2 August 2011 to consider accepting a proposal for a “Laboratory-Clinical Communications” profile.
- E. Sondra must ask Ed Heierman (IICC) to inform us during the next conference call whether IICC can guarantee that a sufficient set of actors has committed to participate in the European Connectathon. (If a given actor has not been identified, then a simulator must be created that can fill the void.)
7. Adjournment- The meeting adjourned at 9:50 AM Eastern U.S.
Next regularly scheduled IHE lab call will be held on Tuesday, August 2, 2011 from 9:00-10:00 AM (Eastern Time, NYC)