DBT Extension Evaluation
The Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Extension profile has been nominated for advancement to Final Text. (Advocate: Andrei Leontiev) Per the Final Text Process, Items in blue text below warrant Committee discussion.
Technical Committee Checklist
- Are all significant CPs against the profile "closed"?
- There are no open DBT Extension CPs
- Are all significant CPs against the underlying standards "closed"?
- There are no DBT Extension related CPs in DICOM
- Have all significant comments been CP'd or rejected?
- No significant comments about DBT Extension were received
- Have all open issues listed in the Supplement been closed?
- Have all significant issues at Connectathon been dealt with?
- After checking with Lynn Felhofer, the options introduced by this supplement have never been tested at connect-a-thon. However, as they are known to be used successfully in Real World, thus there is no reason to doubt their implementability.
- Gather feedback from implementers via a formal questionnaire to Connectathon participants
- Need to reach out directly to the vendors about existing and planned implementation to get evaluation of technical quality of the supplement.
- Has the Connectathon Project Manager been queried and significant issues addressed?
- See above
Technical Committee Consensus
- 2019-11-13. Vendors creating the DBT objects indicated that they either already create or intent to implement Breast Projection X-Ray Image Storage. The Technical Committee consensus: despite low participation in testing the options introduced by this supplement, there is little technical risk in these options, and the availability of the options will promote better interoperability.
Recommendation to promote to Final Text.
Planning Committee Checklist
- Has the profile been through a Connectathon in at least two regions?
- Has the profile been successfully tested with all actors at least at one Connectathon?
- Have different implementations of each actor in the profile been tested?
- Have all the options been tested successfully at at least one Connectathon?
- Evaluation of options
- Are there IHE-provided software testing tools to address all aspects of the profile?
- No specific test tools have been developed for the DBT Extension profile, however existing tools are sufficient to cover the main aspects of the profile. Therefor this is not hindering, making the profile final text.
- Have the standards underlying the profile been implemented? In similar use cases? In healthcare? In general IT?
- The Breast Projection X-Ray Image Storage SOP Class has been supported by the limited number of vendors in this area.In particular, it is known that it has been implemented in production by Hologic Acquisition Modalities for appx. 24 month. There are number of vendors who are able to display these objects following the definitions of DBT profile, in existing implementations.
- (Do you have concrete reason to believe that this works robustly in the Real World) / (Are any products available for purchase that implement the profile?)
- This introduces the option for the highly successful Digital Breast Tomosynthesys Profile and extends it to support Breast Projection X-Ray Image objects, that are routinely used in the interpretation of DBT studies. Until end of 2017, these objects were only available in proprietary format that could have been displayed only by the Image Displays from the same vendor..
- Have all issues that may have been raised about the profile been resolved?
- No issues have been raised
- Has there been sufficient interest in the profile to generate a one-page overview of the profile
- The two options introduced by this supplement - For Presentation Breast Projection X-Ray Images Option and For Processing Breast Projection X-Ray Images Option - will be included into the updated Overview of the DBT profile page.