This profile is to manage the interoperability issues that surround the bed management tasks that are involved with admissions to the various hospital departments from the emergency department.
Bed management is the ability for a healthcare facility or system to have real-time operational awareness of the status of all of its available beds and to be able to plan for the expedient use of beds through coordination of the bed turnover process. Beds are a scarce resource, and the limitation of access to beds leads to delays and waste within healthcare systems.
Due to a lack of interoperability in the emergency department several problems occur:
- Work inefficiencies are decreased for emergency department providers and other staff with no mechanism to monitor patient status in real-time
- Delays in patient transfers to other inpatient hospital departments occur
- Siloed data which results in:
- Poor data quality for process and performance improvement activities
- Inability to effectively perform care coordination
A robust, integrated bed management process not only improves patient care, but also impacts a hospital's financial status. The benefits of this profile are:
- Increased efficiency
- Reduced delays and waste
- Improved patient transfer and care coordination data, resulting in better predictive planning
This transport profile facilitates bed management for patients admitted from the ED. Inefficiencies in transferring patients between the emergency department and inpatient setting result in poorer patient outcomes (e.g., morbidity, mortality or length of stay), increased patient dissatisfaction and poorer resource utilization in the ED. This profile describes how communications between the ED and various inpatient systems can improve care, reduce cost and result in higher patient satisfaction, and enable tracking and monitoring of these activities to support quality improvement activities. This profile does not address how charge information is transferred from various involved systems to the back office, or how discharge or transfers from the inpatient setting to other settings are handled.
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Admission/Discharge/Transfer (ADT) System
- Emergency Department Information System (EDIS)
- Bed Management System (BMS)
Actors & Transactions:
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
The BED Profile is designed to work alongside the IHE IT Infrastructure PAM Profile, but has differing requirements upon what actors are used and additional requirements for the messages that they send.
- IHE ITI Patient Administration Management Profile 
- HL7 v2.6 ADT, Patient Administration HL7
- HL7 EDIS Functional Profile - Registration Release 1 (v.1.4)
This page is based on the Profile Overview Template