IHE Actors are responsible for producing, managing and/or acting on information in the context of an IHE Profile.
- An Actor is defined in terms of its primary responsibility.
- Each IHE Profile assigns specific requirements to specific actors.
- The same Actor might be referenced in multiple Profiles.
For example, the Department System Scheduler/Order Filler is responsible for managing orders performed by a department.
- The Scheduled Workflow Profile places specific requirements on the DSS/Order Filler to support radiology orders, DICOM modality worklists, etc.
- The Lab Scheduled Workflow Profile places specific requirements on it to support lab orders and worklists.
A single system could conceivably claim to support the DSS/Order Filler in both Profiles.
See IHE Profile Design Principles and Conventions for a more more detailed discussion of actor design.