Vital Records Death Reporting
Vital Records Death Reporting defines a Retrieve Form for Data Capture (RFD) content profile that will specify derivation of source content from a medical summary document. by defining requirements for form filler content and form manager handling of the content.:
The Vital Records Death Reporting Content Profile supports pre-population of data from electronic health record systems to electronic vital records systems for death reporting to meet Federal, state and local reporting requirements.
- Establishes interoperable electronic exchange of VR data between EHR and VR Systems
- More timely data release
- Higher quality data for demographic and epidemiologic surveillance and research
- Less costly electronic vital registration systems
- Greater integration with other stakeholder electronic systems
- Greater standardization of electronic Vital Records data collection and exchange
Vital statistics data are the basis for national and state information relevant for promoting public health and for aiding decision makers in setting policies, directing resources, managing problems, and identifying emerging health trends. Vital Records Death Reporting is part of the process of creating the legal record of a person’s death. The provider caring for the patient at the time of death is responsible for reporting medical details on death. Some of the information that is to be reported in the death record exists within the EHR. This profile will define an RFD-based content profile that will specify derivation of source content from a medical summary document. The profile will define requirements for form filler content and form manager handling of content.
- EHR Systems
- Electronic Death Registration Systems (EDRS)
- Infrastructure (Forms Manager)
•HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Reporting Death Information from the EHR to Vital Records, R1 US Realm (Draft Standard for Trial Use)
•HL7 Version 3 CDA R2 Implementation Guide: Reporting Death Information from the EHR to Vital Records Release 1 US Realm - Draft Standard for Trial Use)
Death Edit Specifications for the 2003 Revision of the U.S. Standard Certificate of Death