Sharing Value Sets
The Sharing Value Sets (SVS) profile provides a means through which healthcare systems producing clinical or administrative data, such as diagnostic imaging equipment, laboratory reporting systems, primary care physician office EMR systems, or national healthcare record systems, can receive a common, uniform nomenclature managed centrally.
SVS provides a means for sharing common, uniform nomenclature.
SVS provides a means through which healthcare systems producing clinical or administrative data, such as diagnostic imaging equipment, laboratory reporting systems, primary care physician office EMR systems, or national healthcare record systems, can receive a common, uniform nomenclature managed centrally. Shared nomenclatures are essential to achieving semantic interoperability.
A single Value Set Repository can be accessed by many Value Set Consumers, establishing a domain of consistent and uniform set of nomenclatures. It supports automated loading of Value Sets by Value Set Consumers, reducing the burden of manual configuration. This profile describes two Transactions for retrieving Value Sets from a Value Set Repository by a Value Set Consumer.
- A single value set can be retrieved based on an OID value. This is aimed at meeting the needs of systems that are pre-configured to use specific value sets. These systems are often medical devices with strictly controlled functions that should not be modified without careful review. This transaction does not include metadata content, and provides just the value set concept list as uniquely identified in the request.
- Multiple value sets can be retrieved based on metadata about the value sets. This is aimed at meeting the needs of systems and users that will be dynamically selecting value sets, deciding which value sets should be used, and creating new value sets based on the contents of existing value sets. This transaction supports a much richer selection criteria and provides metadata descriptions as well as the contents (expanded lists of coded values) of all the value sets that meet those criteria.
Both transactions provide access to centrally managed value sets that have been assigned metadata, including group identification. The ability to identify groups of value sets is essential to achieving semantic interoperability and development of modular structures of electronic health records (EHR). Group identification can be used to identify, for example, all the value sets needed for a given purpose like filling in a particular kind of report.
Systems involved in this profile are:
- EHR, EMR, HIE, HIO
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
- Sharing Value Sets (SVS) Trial Implementation Supplement
- Vol. 1 - Section 21
- Vol. 2b - Sections 3.48, 3.60
- HL7 Version 3 Standard: XML Implementation Technology Specifications - Data Types, R1
- IETF RFC 2616: Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP 1.1
- IEEE Std 1003.2 IEEE Standard for Information Technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX®) - Part 2: Shell and Utilities - Amendment 1: Batch Environment -Description
This page is based on the Profile Template