Resources for Authors/Editors
This “landing” page provides links useful for IHE Technical Framework Document Authors and Editors.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the IHE Wiki. The Wiki Map explains links on the navigation pane to the left of this page.
The links below take you to some useful IHE Wiki pages, Web Pages, ftp sites and Google Sheets.
Inventory of IHE Profiles
The Inventory of IHE Profiles Google Sheet lists all current known profiles, their status (Public Comment, Trial Implementation, Deprecated, etc.) and other relevant information.
Brief Descriptions of Profiles and Their State
The Profiles wiki page provides a brief description of published profiles and an indicator of their state (e.g., final text, trial implementation, public comment, deprecated, etc.)
Publication Schedule Information
The information on the Domain Milestone Dates wiki page is provided by each IHE Domain Planning and Technical Committees.
The IHE Documentation Specialist translates the wiki page information into the detailed publication schedule here. IMPORTANT NOTE: If no information is provided on the wiki, no documents can be scheduled for publication.
A high-level view of the publication status of new IHE profiles is located here.
Official IHE Templates
This wiki page also contains links to the most recent version of the IHE General Introduction and Shared Appendices found here. The shared appendices include a complete list of IHE Actors, Transactions and Glossary items.
Profile Proposal Process
The Profile Proposal Process wiki page includes an overview of Call for Proposals -> Selecting Short List -> Performing Technical Evaluation -> Final Profile Selection and links to applicable templates.
IHE Profile Design Principles and Conventions
Among other things, advice for creating new actors and transactions can be found on the IHE Profile Design Principles and Conventions Wiki page.
Writing Technical Frameworks and Supplements
The Writing Technical Frameworks and Supplements wiki page provides some guidelines for authors/editors when developing or updating profiles. It includes the following topics:
- Important Note to Authors/Editors
- Guidance for Authors and Editors
- Document Templates
- IHE FTP Document Publication Repository - Instructions for Use
- Approval Process for New or Modified Actors, Transactions and Glossary Terms
- Editing Conventions
- Editing in MS-Word
- TF References
- The Structure of Technical Frameworks
- Section Numbering
- General Introduction and Shared Appendices
- Revision Numbering Convention
- Links to following are found in the See Also section:
SNOMED CT IHE Set
If you need to add a SNOMED CT Concept to a profile, this page describes the process for:
- Locating a suitable SNOMED CT Concept for reference in an IHE Technical Framework Profile or Value Set
- Adding an existing SNOMED CT Concept to the SNOMED CT IHE Set
- Requesting a new Concept if a suitable existing one is not found
Technical Framework Publication Process
The Technical Framework Publication Process wiki page provides a brief overview of the publication process and the following:
- IHE templates (and where to submit comments on them)
- Document Stages
- Public Comment (and a link to the Public Comment Process)
- Trial Implementation
- Final Text
- Workflow Diagrams (with active links):
- New Supplement publication process
- Updated Supplements publication process (future)
- Document File Naming Conventions
- Named Destinations
Where Public Comments Are Located
Among other things, the Public Comment Process wiki page lists where public comments submitted during a public comment period are found.
USE OFFICIAL VERSIONS to update Published Documents
When a document is published (for public comment, trial implementation, etc.) the IHE Documentation Specialist kindly does various cleanup.
When you want to update a published document (e.g. preparing a Trial Implementation draft based on the Public Comment draft, or applying a CP to Final Text), please start by getting the Current Published Word version from IHE ftp site here. Otherwise, if you start from your own version, the IHE Documentation Specialist will have to do all the cleanup and fixes again or may ask you to make your changes to the Current Published version.
The IHE Document Publication ftp Directory Structure wiki page describes in detail the structure of the Document Publication ftp site.