IHE Integration Profiles describe the solution to a specific integration problem, and document the system roles (Actors), standards and design details for implementers to develop systems that cooperate to address that problem.
IHE Profiles are a convenient way for implementers and users to be sure they're talking about the same solution without having to restate the many technical details that ensure actual interoperability.
For convenient reference, each Profile has a short acronym.
Each domain specifies a collection of Profiles for problems directly related to their domain.
The Profiles listed here may be in one of three states:
- - Final Text - stable
- - Trial Implementation - frozen for trial use; changes permitted prior to Final Text
- - Retired/Deprecated - no longer recommended or maintained by IHE
Alternatively, see the alphabetized index of Profiles.
- 1 IHE Anatomic Pathology Profiles
- 2 IHE Cardiology Profiles
- 3 IHE Eyecare Profiles
- 4 IHE IT Infrastructure Profiles
- 5 IHE Laboratory Profiles
- 6 IHE Patient Care Coordination Profiles
- 7 IHE Patient Care Device Profiles
- 8 IHE Pharmacy Profiles
- 9 IHE Quality, Research, and Public Health Profiles
- 10 IHE Radiation Oncology Profiles
- 11 IHE Radiology Profiles
Note: < <Some Profiles> > do not have complete descriptions based on the Profile Template yet.
IHE Anatomic Pathology Profiles
- [APW] - Anatomic Pathology Workflow integrates the pathology department in the healthcare institution, and covers these specialties: surgical pathology, clinical autopsy, cytopathology.
- [CPR] < <Cancer Registry Pathology Report Profile> > defines the the content used in the PCC-11 to send a completed pathology report to a Cancer Registry using an HL7 Version 2.3.1 ORU message. <can we come up with english description? HL7 segments can be discussed in the details on the profile page>
IHE Cardiology Profiles
- [CATH] - Cardiac Cath Workflow integrates ordering, scheduling, imaging acquisition, storage and viewing for Cardiac Catheterization procedures
- [ECHO] - Echocardiography Workflow integrates ordering, scheduling, imaging acquisition, storage and viewing for digital echocardiography
- [ECG] - Retrieve ECG for Display provides access throughout the enterprise to electrocardiogram (ECG) documents for review purposes
- [ED] - Evidence Documents adds Cardiology-specific options to the Radiology ED profile
- [STRESS] - < <Stress Testing Workflow> > provides ordering and collecting multi-modality data during diagnostic Stress testing procedures
- [DRPT] - < <Displayable Reports> > distributes “display ready” (PDF) cardiology clinical reports from the department to the enterprise.
IHE Eyecare Profiles
- [EYECARE] - Eye Care Workflow manages and distributes the workflow across equipment within the eye clinic.
- [CHG] - Charge Posting collects and posts timely billable claims related to Eye Care procedures.
- [ECED] - Eye Care Evidence Documents manages observations, measurements, and peri-procedural results.
- [ECDR] - Eye Care Displayable Report supports the creation, query/retrieve and reading of ubiquitous display–ready eye care reports.
IHE IT Infrastructure Profiles
- [CT] Consistent Time ensures system clocks and time stamps of computers in a network are well synchronized (median error less than 1 second).
- [ATNA] Audit Trail and Node Authentication authenticates systems using certificates and sends PHI-related audit events to a repository to help implement confidentiality policies.
- [RID] Retrieve Information for Display provides simple (browser-based) read-only access to clinical information (e.g. allergies or lab results) located outside the user’s current application.
- [EUA] Enterprise User Authentication enables single sign-on by facilitating one name per user for participating devices and software.
- [PIX] Patient Identifier Cross Referencing cross-references patient identifiers between hospitals, sites, health information exchange networks, etc.
- [PSA] Patient Synchronized Application allows selection of a patient in one application to cause other applications on a workstation to tune to that same patient.
- [PDQ] Patient Demographics Query lets applications query a central patient information server and retrieve a patient’s demographic and visit information.
- [PAM] Patient Administration Management establishes the continuity and integrity of patient data in and across acute care settings, as well as among ambulatory caregivers.
- [XDS] Cross Enterprise Document Sharing registers and shares electronic health record documents between healthcare enterprises, ranging from physician offices to clinics to acute care in-patient facilities and personal health records.
- [PWP] Personnel White Pages provides basic directory information on human workforce members to other workforce members and applications.
- [NAV] < <Notification of Document Availability> > (in Trial Implementation)
- [DSG] < <Document Digital Signature> > (in Trial Implementation)
- [XDM] < <Cross-enterprise Document Media Interchange> > (in Trial Implementation) transfers XDS documents and metadata using CDs, USB memory, or email attachments.
- [XDR] < <Cross-enterprise Document Reliable Interchange> > (in Trial Implementation) exchanges health documents between health enterprises using a reliable point-to-point network communication.
- [XDS-SD] < <Cross-enterprise Sharing of Scanned Documents> > (in Trial Implementation) couples legacy paper, film, and electronic documents with the healthcare metadata needed to manage them as electronic health record documents.
- [PIX/PDQ/v3] < <Patient Identifier Cross-Reference and Patient Demographics Query for HL7v3> > (in Trial Implementation) extends the Patient Identifier Cross-Reference and Patient Demographics Query profiles leveraging HL7 version 3.
- < <Registry Stored Query Transaction for Cross-Enterprise Document Sharing Profile> > (in Trial Implementation) adds a single transaction, Stored Query, to the XDS Profile. Stored Query is a large improvement over the existing Query Registry transaction since it removes the use of SQL.
- [RFD] Retrieve Form for Data Capture (in Trial Implementation) enables EHR applications to directly request forms from clinical trial sponsors and public health reporting.
- [XCA] < <Cross-Comunity Access> > (in Trial Implementation) allows to query and retrieve patient relevant health data held by other communities. Such communities may be XDS Affinity Domains which define document sharing using the XDS profile or any other communities, no matter what their internal sharing structure.
- [XUA] < <Cross-Enterprise User Assertion> > (in Trial Implementation)
- [XDS.b] < <Cross-Enterprise Document Sharing - b> > (in Trial Implementation)
- [BPPC] Basic Patient Privacy Consents (in Trial Implementation)
IHE Laboratory Profiles
[LTW] - Laboratory Testing Workflow integrates ordering and performance of in-vitro diagnostic tests by a clinical laboratory inside a healthcare institution.
[XD-LAB] - Sharing Laboratory Reports describes the content (human and machine readable) of an electronic clinical laboratory report.
[LDA] - Laboratory Device Automation integrates an Automation Manager and robotic laboratory equipment (pre-analytical devices, analyzers, post-analytical devices) in a clinical lab.
[LBL] - Laboratory Barcode Labeling integrates robotic specimen container labeling systems with sources of order-related labelling information.
[LPOCT] - Laboratory Point Of Care Testing integrates performing and collecting the results of in-vitro testing at the point of care or patient’s bedside.
[LCSD] - Laboratory Code Sets Distribution distributes managed sets of clinical laboratory codes (battery, test and observation codes).
[ILW] - Inter Laboratory Workflow supports the workflow of orders and results with a subcontracting laboratory.
IHE Patient Care Coordination Profiles
- [MS] Medical Summaries Profile describes the content and format of Discharge Summaries and Referral Notes.
- [XPHR] Exchange of Personal Health Record Content Profile describes the content and format of summary information extracted from a PHR system for import into an EHR system, and visa versa.
- [FSA] Functional Status Assessments Profile describes the content and format of Functional Status Assessments that appear within summary documents.
- [EDR] Emergency Department Referral Profile communicates medical summary data from an EHR System to an EDIS System.
- [EDES] Emergency Department Encounter Summary Profile describes the content and format of records created during an emergency department visit.
- [QED] Query for Existing Data Profile queries data repositories for clinical information on vital signs, problems, medications, immunizations, and diagnostic results.
- [APS] Antepartum Care Summary Profile describes the content and format of summary documents used during antepartum care.
- [APR] < <Antepartum Record Profile> >
- [LDR] < <Labor and Delivery Record Profile> >
- [PPOC] < <Patient Plan of Care Profile> >
- [CM] Care Management Profile provides a mechanism for EHR and other HIT systems to communicate information to Care Management systems in support of specialized care programs through the use of evidence based guidelines.
- [RCG] < <Request for Clinical Guidance Profile> >
- [IC] < <Immunization Content Profile> > defines the content and format of immunization data.
IHE Patient Care Device Profiles
- [DEC] Device Enterprise Communication transmits information from medical devices at the point of care to enterprise applications.
- [ACM] < < Alarm Communication Management> > communicates alarms, ensuring the right alarm with the right priority gets to the right individuals with the right content.
- [PIV] < < Point of Care Infusion Verification> > communicates medication orders to an infusion pump or pump management system.
- [IDCO] < <Implantable Device Cardiac Observation> > specifies the creation, transmission, and processing of discrete data elements and report attachments associated with cardiac device interrogations (observations) or messages.
- [RTM] < < Rosetta Terminology Mapping> > harmonizes the use of existing nomenclature terms defined by the ISO/IEEE 11073-10101 nomenclature standard for use by systems compliant with IHE PCD Messaging Profiles.
IHE Pharmacy Profiles
- [ ] in development
- [CRD] < < Clinical Research Data Capture> > provides a method for gathering data within a user’s current application to meet the requirements of an external system regarding clinical trials content. CRD defines the content to be used while prepopulating clinical research trials. Thus data can be used by a Form Manager to produce a Standard Case Report Form in two different exploitable formats, namely ODM and CDASH.
- [DSP] < <Drug Safety Profile> > provides a method for gathering data within a user's application to meet the requirements of an external system for reporting drug safety events. DSP defines the content to be used for prepopulating drug safety reports. The content is managed using Retrieve Form for Data Capture (RFD), an ITI profile such that a Form Manager can define the required data for the report, the user application (Form Filler) can auto-fill the form with available information and capture manually additional information.
IHE Radiation Oncology Profiles
- [NTPL-S] Normal Treatment Planning-Simple illustrates flow of treatment planning data from CT to Dose Review for basic treatments
- [MMR-RO] Multimodality Registration for Radiation Oncology integrates PET and MRI data into the contouring and dose review process.
- [TRWF] RT Treatment Workflow integrates daily imaging with radiation therapy treatments using workflow
IHE Radiology Profiles
- Profiles for Workflow
[SWF] Scheduled Workflow integrates ordering, scheduling, imaging acquisition, storage and viewing for Radiology exams.
[PIR] Patient Information Reconciliation coordinates reconciliation of the patient record when images are acquired for unidentified (e.g. trauma), or misidentified patients.
[PWF] Post-Processing Workflow provides worklists, status and result tracking for post-acquisition tasks, such as Computer-Aided Detection or Image Processing.
[RWF] Reporting Workflow provides worklists, status and result tracking for reporting tasks, such as dictation, transcription and verification.
[IRWF] Import Reconciliation Workflow manages importing images from CDs, hardcopy, XDS-I, etc. and reconciling identifiers to match local values.
[MAWF] < <Mammography Acquisition Workflow> > handles mammography-specific exceptions to routine image acquisition based on Scheduled Workflow.
- Profiles for Content
[NM] < <Nuclear Medicine Image> > specifies how Nuclear Medicine images and result screens are created, exchanged, used and displayed.
[MAMMO] < <Mammography Image> > specifies how Mammography images and evidence objects are created, exchanged, used and displayed.
[ED] Evidence Documents specifies how data objects such as digital measurements are created, exchanged, and used.
[SINR] Simple Image and Numeric Report specifies how Diagnostic Radiology Reports (including images and numeric data) are created, exchanged, and used.
[REM] Radiation Exposure Monitoring specifies how radiation details from imaging procedures are created, exchanged and used.
[PERF] < <CT/MR Perfusion Imaging> > specifies encoding of Contrast Perfusion imaging data using Enhanced CT/MR DICOM objects.
[DIFF] < <MR Diffusion Imaging> > specifies encoding of MR Diffusion imaging data using Enhanced MR DICOM objects.
- Profiles for Presentation
[KIN] < <Key Image Note> > lets users flag images as significant (e.g. for referring, for surgery, etc.) and add notes.
[CPI] < <Consistent Presentation of Images> > maintains consistent intensity and image transformations between different hardcopy and softcopy devices.
[PGP] Presentation of Grouped Procedures facilitates viewing and reporting individual requested procedures (e.g. head, chest, abdomen) that an operator has grouped into a single scan.
[FUS] < <Image Fusion> > integrates different systems creating, registering and displaying fused image sets and storing their results.
[BIR] < <Basic Image Review> > defines baseline features and user interface relevant to simple review of DICOM images.
- Profiles for Infrastructure
[PDI] Portable Data for Imaging provides reliable interchange of image data and diagnostic reports on CDs for importing, printing, or optionally, displaying in a browser.
[XDS-I] < <Cross-enterprise Document Sharing for Imaging .b Update> > extends XDS to share images, diagnostic reports and related information across a group of care sites.
[TCE] < <Teaching File and Clinical Trial Export> > lets users flag images and related information for automatic routing to teaching file authoring or clinical trials management systems.
[ARI] Access to Radiology Information shares images, diagnostic reports, and related information inside a single network.
[ATNA] Audit Trail and Node Authentication - Radiology Option defines Radiology-specific audit trail messages and security measures to protect the confidentiality of patient information.
[CHG] Charge Posting provides timely procedure details from modalities to billing systems.