PHARM Strategic Planning
This page documents the activities of the IHE Pharmacy (PHARM) domain in doing strategic planning.
The PHARM domain currently plans to work in the following areas:
- Promote widespread adoption and implementation of IHE Pharmacy developed profiles by ...
- Marketing and promoting the profiles globally
- Reaching out for national/regional e-Prescription programs in order to
- (1) learn requirements and demands which lead to developments within IHE Pharmacy and
- (2) stimulate leveraging of IHE Pharmacy profiles as basis for their national specifications
- Improve information exchange between healthcare providers and organizations that depend on Pharmacy related workflows and processes
- Develop ways to automate collaborative workflow between physicians and pharmacists in both community and hospital pharmacy environment
- Establishing and maintaining collaboration to ...
- other IHE domains
- HL7 Pharmacy
- ISO TC215 WG6 Pharmacy
The committee has defined the following strategic goals:
- We want to define a complete set of connectivity services for exchanging medication information based on FHIR (Prescribing, Dispensing, Administration, Adverse event reporting etc.)
- We want to define a complete set of connectivity services for medication supply information
The PHARM domain has defined the following categories to organize the profiles it has published so far.
|Category||Description||Deliverables (Profiles, Whitepapers, etc.)||Areas of expertise||Areas of outreach|
|Common||Overall medication process management, covering the whole spectrum of use-cases from regulatory agencies, medication in clincal workflows up to supply of medication.||IHE Pharmacy White Paper v1.3.3||Medication Management, Medication formulary, Coding systems, Identifiers and structure of product and substance identification||HL7 Pharmacy, ISO TC215 WG3 and WG6, International|
|Community Pharmacy||Profiles in the Community Pharmacy category support the ability to handle the entire workflow from the act of the planning and prescribing of a medication to the dispense of the medication to the patient (e.g. at a pharmacy) in a non-hospital environment (primary care). This includes the ability to submit, locate/list and retrieve patient specific prescription, pharmaceutical advice and dispense information, which is entirely based on the HL7 CDA standard.||CMPD, PRE, PADV, DIS, PML, MTP||Medication Prescription and Dispense workflow, HL7 CDA, HL7 Pharmacy CMETs, European epSOS project||HL7 Pharmacy, epSOS, International|
|Hospital Pharmacy||Profiles in the Hospital Pharmacy category support the ability to handle the entire workflow from the act of the prescription of a medication to the administration of the medication to the patient (e.g. by a nurse) in a hospital environment, which is entirely based on HL7 v2 messaging standards.||HMW||Pharmacy workflow in hospital environment, HL7v2 messaging||HL7 Pharmacy, International|
|Mobile Medication Management||Profiles for the management of medication on mobile devices based on HL7 FHIR standards.||Mobile recording of the medication administration act, FHIR, Barcoding||HL7, GS1|
|Supply Chain||Materials concerning Supply of products in Healthcare considering traceability, order management, inventory management, product recalls, barcodes, etc.||||Supply of products in Healthcare considering traceability, order management, inventory management, product recalls, barcodes, etc.||HL7International, GS1, ISO TC215 WG6, IHE PCC, IHE ITI|
The following table describes the liaisons from PHARM to other IHE domains.
Domain Committee Liaison Reports
|ISO TC215 WG6 "Pharmacy and Medicines Business"||Jose Costa Teixeira|
|HL7 Workflow and HL7 Pharmacy||Jose Costa Teixeira|
|Information Technology Infrastructure (ITI)||Not yet assigned|
|Patient Care Coordination (PCC)||Michael Tan|
|Patient Care Devices (PCD)||Not yet assigned|
|Quality, Research, Public Health (QRPH)*|
Note: Domains marked with * have been identified for future liaisons