PCD Pump 2012-02-01 WebEx
IHE PCD Infusion Pump Working Group discussions.
Topic: IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG
Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Time: 14:00, Eastern Time (GMT -05:00, New York)
Duration: 60 Minutes'
Note: Specific web & phone information will be provided via e-mail to group members.
Contact Manny Furst for more information.
- 1. Review today's Agenda
- 2. Working group status review
- Meeting Notes
- Action Items
- 3. AAMI Infusion Pump Meetings:
- Review AAMI Infusion Safety Meetings (Daytona)
- Plan for AAMI Standards Week
- 4. Discuss Technical Framework Proposals for Device Specializations
- 5. March PCD Infusion Pump Summit
Attachments / Materials
- <add attachments links here>
- Chair/Host: Todd Cooper (BSF)
- Participants: Paul Elletson (Smiths), Al Engelbert (B.Braun), John Garguilo (NIST), Bill Hawley (Inter-Mountain Healthcare), Sandra Martinez (NIST), John Rhoads (Philips), Paul Schluter (GE), Erin Sparnon (ECRI), Kristina Wilson (Hospira), Khalid Zubaidi (CareFusion)
- NOTE: Action Item Review updates have been posted directly to the Infusion Pump Action Items wiki page
Item Topic Discussion 1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Reviewed & Approved Agenda
- Reviewed & Approved Discussion Notes from 2012-01-18 WebEx
- General IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG status & plans review
2 AAMI HTSI Meeting Review
A number of the WG members attended the AAMI HTSI (Health Technology Safety Institute) Infusion System Working Group meetings in Daytona Beach last week (Wednesday & Thursday). This included general sessions updating on the many activities since the initial AAMI / FDA Infusion Summit 2010 October, as well as a meeting of the Infusion Pump Integration & Connectivity WG, which is chaired by Erin Sparnon. Erin provided the following overview of that group's meeting:
- Focus was on hospitals that are either being very successful or failing w.r.t. infusion pump integration
- Discussions were very fruitful, esp. when vendors were asked, "What do you worry about when you enter a hospital?" In other words, what are the typical issues or warning signs of issues (e..g, questions asked or not asked)?
- Though EHR vendors like Cerner and Epic are actively working on pump integration - from an IHE perspective, hospitals don't see it or are told that it is a pump company problem ...
The WG is creating a white paper of best practices for hospitals that are working on standards-based pump integration
Next WG call is scheduled for February 6, 2012. Ask Erin if you would like to be added to the list.
IHE PCD Actions: Press release saying that infusion pump vendors are ready w/ standardized interfaces!
- (PCD PC) Consider creating a Press Release indicating that infusion pump vendors are ready to integrate with standardized & tested IHE interfaces!
3 Review DS Approach
Discussed the general approach to be taken regarding the device specialization documents (DS), based on the analysis that has been done to date. This included ...
- DS - Infusion Pump - General: This would be a "content module" specification, not a profile, and would capture the common aspects of infusion pump semantics between the three primary data types that are currently being considered (LVP, syringe & PCA).
- DS - Infusion Pump - LVP + DS-Infusion Pump-Syringe + DS-Infusion Pump-PCA - profile documents shall be developed for each of these covering the general & unique aspects of the various devices.
Todd also indicated that he wanted to DS options such as "Auto Programming (PIV)", event communication and "Drug Library", the library coming in the next cycle.
In reviewing Todd's draft PCD TF discussion slides, it was not clear on slide #17 how the various parts related to the three TF volumes. Todd should update the slides to clarify this part + to align with the approach to Profiles vs. data sets.
- (4) documents to be generated per Discussion above with options such as Auto programming, event communication and drug libraries.
- (Todd) Update slides to reflect decisions
4 2012.03 Summit
Khalid indicated that there had been initial approval for CareFusion to host an IHE PCD Infusion Pump WG Summit during the last two weeks of March. The meeting would be for 15-20 participants and would take three days. Though the group requested Tuesday - Thursday for the meeting, Kalid will identify options and report back to the group on the next WebEx 2012.02.08.
- (Khalid) Identify specific date options for the group to consider.
5 Next Meeting
- The group decided that the next meeting will be 2012-02-08.
- - Infusion Pump Summit Review
- - Update on new term process using RTMMS
- - Review updated slides based on previous week's decisions
- - Review initial structure of the DS documents and start to identify what is common and what is unique for each device type
NOTE: Next Meeting will be held during the regularly scheduled time: 14:00 (Eastern) on 2012-02-08 (60 minutes)
(Reviewed & approved by PCD Infusion Pump WG on TBD)