PCD Cochairs 2009-04-28 Webex

From IHE Wiki
Revision as of 23:05, 11 May 2009 by Efurst (Talk | contribs) (Discussion: Update notes completed)

Jump to: navigation, search

Patient Care Device Cochairs Weekly Meeting

Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Time: 3:00 pm, Eastern Time

Duration: 60 Minutes

Proposed Agenda

Review & Approve Agenda
Review Discussion Summary last meeting April 21, 2009
IDCO Ballot Status
2009 Spring F2F:
HITSP Update
  • ARRA - 90 day refocusing & CmDC
  • SDE#2, Continua & RMON Deadline
2009/2010 Budget
  • HIMSS Fiscal Year & Budget
  • Update Lisa on Recent PCD Funding Meetings
  • ARRA-related activities
IHE International
  • IHE International: Incorporation Status
  • New Members: Baxter + Asia Regionals Status Update
  • IP Management Process
- Draft Disclosure Process
- Draft Disclosure Form
Cycle 4 Development Update
  • PIV & Proposed San Diego F2F Meeting
  • TF Revision Update
  • RTM Update
  • ACM: Gap Strategy + Additional Domains
  • DPI WP
  • MEM WP
Domain Coordination Committee Update
Organizational Relationships
Action Items
Next meeting - Proposed Agenda

Attachments / Materials

updated with discussion of April 21

Discussion Summary of earlier meetings April 21, 2009, PCD Cochairs 2009-04-21 Webex

Action Items Brought Forward

Number Action Owner Participants Due Date Status Comments
55 Showcase vendor display policy Steve Merritt Ray, Elliot April 14, 2009 OPEN Will add to Domain Process (management) document. Issues may exist with third party devices brought by Cerner and Capsule this year. Will include: Chris Carr, Didi direction on bi-directional distributed demo, display/demonstration of ancillary equipment. Todd’s draft will be the basis for Steve’s efforts. Todd added this to F2F agenda.

Also see #57.

61 Analyze, publish results of stakeholder survey Ray March 24, 2009 OPEN Ray is talking with WG4 in the HIMSS/AAMI/ACCE CE-IT Community, and possibly in BI&T. Deferred
74 Clinical Recruitment Steve Cochairs and PC Open OPEN
  • Carolyn McGregor spoke with Elliot and she is interested in participating. Her interest is largely in data warehousing, and this would be a contribution to PCD. PCD needs to follow up. Ken will follow up with Elliot. Steve will talk about PCD at the Canadian meeting in May. Todd will also be talking at the meeting. Todd asked the organizaers for additional time for informal discussion about PCD, etc. Paul will speak to the Chicago Area Biomeds.

  • (Zambuto) Review IHE membership to identify recruitment opportunities.
  • (Cooper)Update profiles wiki page so as to capture the attention of clinical reviewers.
  • (Zambuto) Ask Mario Castenada re. KP participants (perhaps also Michael Robkin)
  • Manny will talk with Cristal Anderson about possibilities. He asked for emails with suggestions.
  • (Cooper, Jan. 27) HL7/IHE are talking about this subject; there may be an opportunity for PCD
77 Monitor HITSP development of RMON and coordinate a demonstration with HITSP. Todd Paul June 16, 2009 OPEN Todd has not heard back from Joyce about how best to proceed. Paul said Continua is working on requirements documents, and anticipates that January will see progress. Bridget made a presentation last Friday. As a consultant for Continua she didn’t get deeply into the substance as of Friday. Rick gave her a lot of fee rein. She appears to place emphasis on deliverable products. There’s an internal effort by the Wide Area Network Group to determine technical requirements. Continua will demonstrate one possible web services possibility in the upcoming Continua Barcelona meeting. Consistent Method for Device Communication (CMDC) - HITSP will publish something in May for public comment. Need to start with continuity, topology. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. Continua - Proceeding with LAN effort. Their WAN technical group is working on ASN1 over web services. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will likley go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. There have been two recent meetings, including Charles Parisot and Jan Wittenber. PCD offered a model for use, making it clear that there is much commonality for each topological deployments. Todd noted in the meetings that there are regulatory issues and that PCD is sensitive to these issues. Ken and Todd have submitted the NDAs to have access to the Continua documents.

There was little or no support for PCD efforts in the refocusing discussion yesterday. Ken noted that there was an interest in children’s heath, and that infant care devices could be a way to continue to have HITSP’s interest in device communications. Examples include incubators. Todd plans to prepare materials to call attention to medical device communications within the revisions underway. Paul noted that PCC domain may look at sending graphical segments in RMON. Paul responded to PCC by sending information on his concept for sending short segments. The approach they are currently considering won’t work for PCD.

78 Continua John Paul April 15, 2009 OPEN Todd noted that there’s been no response to the NDAs submitted to Continua. There’s been no opportunity to resolve apparent differences by June for HITSP. Paul said there’s been no movement on RMON in Continua. IBM is promoting web services and ASN1. It’s not likely that Continua and PCD will arrive at a single protocol by June. The positive side is that both will use RTM. Continua is planning a F2F meeting. The initial proposal coincides with PCD’s F2F. Their standard is not yet publicly available. Todd and Ken received the Continua documentation. One question is whether they can support complex devices such as ventilators, infusion pumps. RMON F2F takes place the week after NIST. Those who have signed the NDA may get together after hours at the F2F to discuss the document.


82 PCD to develop MOU with CIMIT Ray Ken April 15, 2009 OPEN Defer interest in year ‘round lab. Ken wrote and discussed a draft MOU intended to enable coordinating profiles, similar to the Continua MOU. Ray There’s a question regarding where in the continuum PCD should have an MOU (ICE, MDPnP, CIMIT). MOU draft was sent to Julian Goldman. Paul indicated that an interface engine solution (e.g., Capsule) may meet the needs for bidirectional communication, or connection to the device may need to be more “intimate”. Nothing new re CIMIT or ASTM MOU. Deferred


83 Funding Possibilities Cochairs 2009.04.21 OPEN Discuss potential opportunities, focus of proposal(s). DPI, RTM are the highest priorities and most appropriate for foundation funding. Refer to notes of Dec. 23, 2008, PCD Cochairs 2008-12-23 Webex for more information. Grants Advantage responded to the discussion, saying there may be federal funds in AHRQ’s Comparative Effectiveness Research Program and that $3-5K would be required to write the proposal. If Didi doesn’t have funds, perhaps ACCE would support this. Ken will contact Edna at HIMSS Advantage and Jon White and Michael Fitzmaurice at AHRQ, for more information and will ask Edna about private foundation funds. AHRQ discussion last week. Steve noted that their website has some HIT grants with varying funding levels for demonstration projects. The dollar value appears related to the duration of the project. He noted that there’s a website Grants.gov with all grants. Todd will reach out to Wayne Morse for funding of a grant proposal. Todd noted the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) funds won’t be distributed for a little while and that there is a HIMSS ARRA webinar series. Ray received a response from the ACCE Foundation indicating they would be interested in supporting the grant writing, but Ray is hoping that ACCE would itself fund the grant writing.
John Halamka requested input for an article he is writing about optimal allocation of stimulus funding. Elliot will be, and the cochairs were, invited to contribute ideas. The cochairs need to provide Elliot with some suggestions that show this would be an economic stimulus and an investment in future jobs and healthcare benefits in the future.
AHRQ told PCD to wait 90 days. Steve indicated there are some possibilities in existing AHRQ funding. New AHRQ funding possibilities won’t be known before June
ACCE will help fund PCD proposals. AHRQ and NIST may be sources of funds. PCD cochairs will discuss this in more detail at HIMSS.
Manny to contact Ray to proceed in exploring options. Manny to ask Elliot if he has any guidance on IHE having multiple sponsors, including AAMI. Manny to ask Elliot if ACC has any money devoted to support PCD’s efforts. Will approach Elliot regarding the need to ask Chris and Lisa if there are any funds available to support the increased effort related to IDCO.
85 F2F at NIST the week of May 4 Cochairs OPEN Manny will contact John Garguilo to obtain security and other information and then issue a notice.Manny to send a reminder; only a few have indicated they will attend; John Garguilo will research hotels. Only a few responses to date. Ask John Garguilo about IDC participation in the F2F, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday morning. Mostly a separate meeting, some coordination. Need to integrate IDC, know who will attend. For the F2F, any issues requiring a vote will be addressed afterward with an email ballot. The Roadmap will be a major focus of the F2F.


Meeting Summary

Participants

Cochairs: Ken Fuchs, Steve Merritt, John Rhoads
Guest: Paul Schluter
Project Manager: Manny Furst

Discussion

Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:

Decisions/Issues:

Accepted

Action(s):

2 Review Meeting Summaries
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
Last meeting reviewed; accepted as written with one change (see Ation Item #77).

Decisions/Issues: Action(s):

3 Action Items Review
- Chair
Status/Discussion:
  • 55: Showcase Vendor Display Policy -
  • 61: Stakeholder survey -
  • 74: Clinician recruitment - Paul presented to the Chicago Area Biomeds on Saturday. About 30 were there and there was a lot of interest. He spoke for over 2 hours. There were a few IT folk and several clinical engineers dealing with IT integration issues. Suraj, one of the organizers, may join the PCD.
  • 77: HITSP RMON - They are not planning on doing anything new. Apparently, that may mean that harmonizing Continua and PCD won’t be addressed in this 90 day interval. Jan and John Rhoads have attended meetings. Paul recommended against spending a lot of time on pushing CmDC, instead being able to say that RTM (only the ventilator remains) and the test tools are complete.
  • 78: Continua - Continua’s F2F will be coming up. Paul will attend if another PCD member will go. Todd may join him.
- At least RTM is common to both. Manny to edit contents of Action Items to update and remove old material, and refer back to earlier date for more information.
  • 82: CIMIT -
  • 83: Funding Possibilities - Ray will send an email to Lisa, and reach out to AAMI.
  • 85: F2F May 4-8 - PCD should consider setting up a phone to dial in to, and set up Webex if needed. Manny to inquire about the cost of Webex. Ken has a dial up number that could be used. Manny to ask John if there is a conference phone in the room. John Garguilo is arranging a tour of the Physics Lab on Wednesday.
- Ken suggested having two reviews of the Roadmap; one at the end in case things change.
  • 86: HIMSS09 Web Page -
  • 87: NEW ITEM: PCD coordination with other domains - and Manny to move PCC item from #77 to an action item for coordination with other domains.
- Recent profiles are of wider interest (ACM, WCM - transmission of graphical data in HL2 v.2). Paul responded to a white paper from Keith Boone, PCC, on the subject of waveform transmissions. Paul noted that the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society also addressed waveform communications. It includes a 200 +- page document. Paul recommended that PCD avoid multiplexing; just one parameter at a time. Others exist, including a European (previously ASTM standard) and a TC 215 approach.

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

4 IHE International
- All
Status/Discussion:
  • Karen Witting recommended that F2F meetings, where possible, provide Webex connections for those that cannot attend. The Board Report template will be available soon.

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

5 Cycle 4 Profile Status Update
- Cochairs
Status/Discussion:
  • Pump vendrs will meet in SD in May.
  • MEM WG meets Thursday.

Decisions/Issues:

Action(s):

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be May 12, 2009 PCD Cochairs 2009-05-12 Webex

<For Decision Meetings, add review line here when minutes are approved; e.g., "(Reviewed & approved by PCD RTM Vent TG 2008-04-16)">


PCD Home