PCD Cochairs 2009-04-21 Webex
Patient Care Device Cochairs Weekly Meeting
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Time: 3:00 pm, Eastern Time
Duration: 60 Minutes
- Review & Approve Agenda
- Review Discussion Summary last meeting April 14, 2009
- IDCO Ballot Status
- HIMSS '09 "take away" Discussion - follow up
- Issues arising?
- Head count for HIMSS 2010
- Refocusing the Showcase Message
- 2009 Spring F2F:
- HITSP Update
- ARRA - 90 day refocusing & CmDC
- SDE#2, Continua & RMON Deadline
- 2009/2010 Budget
- HIMSS Fiscal Year & Budget
- Update Lisa on Recent PCD Funding Meetings
- ARRA-related activities
- IHE International
- PCD Web Updates:
- Cycle 4 Development Update
- PIV & Proposed San Diego F2F Meeting
- TF Revision Update
- RTM Update
- ACM: Gap Strategy + Additional Domains
- DPI WP
- MEM WP
- Domain Coordination Committee Update
- Organizational Relationships
- Action Items
Attachments / Materials
updated with discussion of April 14
- Discussion Summary of earlier meetings April 14, 2009, PCD Cochairs 2009-04-14 Webex
Action Items Brought Forward
Number Action Owner Participants Due Date Status Comments 55 Showcase vendor display policy Steve Merritt Ray, Elliot April 14, 2009 OPEN Will add to Domain Process (management) document. Issues may exist with third party devices brought by Cerner and Capsule this year. Will include: Chris Carr, Didi direction on bi-directional distributed demo, display/demonstration of ancillary equipment. Todd’s draft will be the basis for Steve’s efforts. Also see #57. 61 Analyze, publish results of stakeholder survey Ray March 24, 2009 OPEN Ray is talking with WG4 in the HIMSS/AAMI/ACCE CE-IT Community, and possibly in BI&T. 74 Clinical Recruitment Steve Cochairs and PC Open OPEN
- Carolyn McGregor spoke with Elliot and she is interested in participating. Her interest is largely in data warehousing, and this would be a contribution to PCD. PCD needs to follow up. Ken will follow up with Elliot.
- (Zambuto) Review IHE membership to identify recruitment opportunities.
- (Cooper)Update profiles wiki page so as to capture the attention of clinical reviewers.
- (Zambuto) Ask Mario Castenada re. KP participants (perhaps also Michael Robkin)
- Manny will talk with Cristal Anderson about possibilities. He asked for emails with suggestions.
- (Cooper, Jan. 27) HL7/IHE are talking about this subject; there may be an opportunity for PCD
77 Monitor HITSP development of RMON and coordinate a demonstration with HITSP. Todd Paul June 16, 2009 OPEN Todd has not heard back from Joyce about how best to proceed. Paul said Continua is working on requirements documents, and anticipates that January will see progress. Bridget made a presentation last Friday. As a consultant for Continua she didn’t get deeply into the substance as of Friday. Rick gave her a lot of fee rein. She appears to place emphasis on deliverable products. There’s an internal effort by the Wide Area Network Group to determine technical requirements. Continua will demonstrate one possible web services possibility in the upcoming Continua Barcelona meeting. Consistent Method for Device Communication (CMDC) - HITSP will publish something in May for public comment. Need to start with continuity, topology. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. Continua - Proceeding with LAN effort. Their WAN technical group is working on ASN1 over web services. Interface #2 should carry acute care with a common interface for Continua, PCD. Continua will likley go its own way based on web services. Paul believes that there is still an opportunity to have a common hierarchy for simple home care and more acute care. Yet, it is more likely to have different transport layers, etc. because they want the simplest communication from the device to the gateway. There have been two recent meetings, including Charles Parisot and Jan Wittenber. PCD offered a model for use, making it clear that there is much commonality for each topological deployments. Todd noted in the meetings that there are regulatory issues and that PCD is sensitive to these issues. Ken and Todd have submitted the NDAs to have access to the Continua documents.
There was little or no support for PCD efforts in the refocusing discussion yesterday. Ken noted that there was an interest in children’s heath, and that infant care devices could be a way to continue to have HITSP’s interest in device communications. Examples include incubators.
78 Continua John Paul April 15, 2009 OPEN Todd noted that there’s been no response to the NDAs submitted to Continua. There’s been no opportunity to resolve apparent differences by June for HITSP. Paul said there’s been no movement on RMON in Continua. IBM is promoting web services and ASN1. It’s not likely that Continua and PCD will arrive at a single protocol by June. The positive side is that both will use RTM. Continua is planning a F2F meeting. The initial proposal coincides with PCD’s F2F. Their standard is not yet publicly available. 82 PCD to develop MOU with CIMIT Ray Ken April 15, 2009 OPEN Defer interest in year ‘round lab. Ken wrote and discussed a draft MOU intended to enable coordinating profiles, similar to the Continua MOU. Ray There’s a question regarding where in the continuum PCD should have an MOU (ICE, MDPnP, CIMIT). MOU draft was sent to Julian Goldman. Paul indicated that an interface engine solution (e.g., Capsule) may meet the needs for bidirectional communication, or connection to the device may need to be more “intimate”. Nothing new re CIMIT or ASTM MOU.
83 Funding Possibilities Cochairs 2009.04.21 OPEN Discuss potential opportunities, focus of proposal(s). DPI, RTM are the highest priorities and most appropriate for foundation funding. Refer to notes of Dec. 23, 2008, PCD Cochairs 2008-12-23 Webex for more information. Grants Advantage responded to the discussion, saying there may be federal funds in AHRQ’s Comparative Effectiveness Research Program and that $3-5K would be required to write the proposal. If Didi doesn’t have funds, perhaps ACCE would support this. Ken will contact Edna at HIMSS Advantage and Jon White and Michael Fitzmaurice at AHRQ, for more information and will ask Edna about private foundation funds. AHRQ discussion last week. Steve noted that their website has some HIT grants with varying funding levels for demonstration projects. The dollar value appears related to the duration of the project. He noted that there’s a website Grants.gov with all grants. Todd will reach out to Wayne Morse for funding of a grant proposal. Todd noted the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) funds won’t be distributed for a little while and that there is a HIMSS ARRA webinar series. Ray received a response from the ACCE Foundation indicating they would be interested in supporting the grant writing, but Ray is hoping that ACCE would itself fund the grant writing.
- John Halamka requested input for an article he is writing about optimal allocation of stimulus funding. Elliot will be, and the cochairs were, invited to contribute ideas. The cochairs need to provide Elliot with some suggestions that show this would be an economic stimulus and an investment in future jobs and healthcare benefits in the future.
- AHRQ told PCD to wait 90 days. Steve indicated there are some possibilities in existing AHRQ funding. New AHRQ funding possibilities won’t be known before June
- ACCE will help fund PCD proposals. AHRQ and NIST may be sources of funds. PCD cochairs will discuss this in more detail at HIMSS.
- Manny to contact Ray to proceed in exploring options. Manny to ask Elliot if he has any guidance on IHE having multiple sponsors, including AAMI. Manny to ask Elliot if ACC has any money devoted to support PCD’s efforts.
85 F2F at NIST the week of May 4 Cochairs OPEN Manny will contact John Garguilo to obtain security and other information and then issue a notice.Manny to send a reminder; only a few have indicated they will attend; John Garguilo will research hotels. Only a few responses to date. Ask John Garguilo about IDC participation in the F2F, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday morning. Mostly a separate meeting, some coordination. Need to integrate IDC, know who will attend. Todd reviewed the more detailed agenda, and discussion followed. 86 HIMSS09 Web Page Cochairs March 24, 2009 OPEN HIMSS09 web page update has made two PCD related links quite visible. These are out of date. Cochairs will review and see if there are other links that might be substituted or if those pages need to be updated. Add to next meeting’s agenda. Todd will update.
- Cochairs: Todd Cooper, Ken Fuchs, Steve Merritt, John Rhoads
- Guest: Paul Schluter
- Project Manger: Manny Furst
Item Topic Discussion 1 Introductions & Agenda Review
2 Review Meeting Summaries
- Placeholder Accepted; no comments were received about meeting summary.
3 Action Items Review
- 55: Showcase Vendor Display Policy - Add to F2F agenda.
- 61: Stakeholder survey - Deferred
- 74: Clinician recruitment - Steve will talk about PCD at the Canadian meeting in May. Todd will also be talking at the meeting. Todd asked the organizaers for additional time for informal discussion about PCD, etc. Paul will speak to the Chicago Area Biomeds.
- 77: HITSP RMON - Todd plans to prepare materials to call attention to medical device communications within the revisions underway. Paul noted that PCC domain may look at sending graphical segments in RMON. Paul responded to PCC by sending information on his concept for sending short segments. The approach they are currently considering won’t work for PCD.
- 78: Continua - Todd and Ken received the Continua documentation. One question is whether they can support complex devices such as ventilators, infusion pumps. RMON F2F takes place the week after NIST. Those who have signed the NDA may get together after hours at the F2F to discuss the document.
- 82: CIMIT - Deferred
- 83: Funding Possibilities - Will approach Elliot regarding the need to ask Chris and Lisa if there are any funds available to support the increased effort related to IDCO.
- 85: F2F May 4-8 - For the F2F, any issues requiring a vote will be addressed afterward with an email ballot. The Roadmap will be a major focus of the F2F.
- 86: HIMSS09 Web Page - Completed, close
4 IHE International
- No change.
5 Profile Updates
- RTM will be updated next week, in advance of F2F meeting.
- ACM – Todd suggested a Webex for companies that may be interested to kick off the next cycle. Manny to send email to ACM with list of companies he contacted, asking for more contacts and plan to hold a Webex to kick off.
- DPI – no meeting this week.
- MEM – trying to set up a meeting for next week.
6 Domain Coordination and Organizational Relationships
- Domain Coordination Update – active interest in RFID and bar code, and multi-domain coordination for associating device with a data stream. ARRA, 80001 and MDDS pose a problem for IHE and PCD can provide guidance. IHE members have not been significantly affected by FDA regulations in the past. The Regulatory Considerations White Paper may become a higher priority.
- Organizational Relationships – nothing new
- Paul asked if the IEEE/IHE MOU will permit use of IEEE terms in the RTM tables. Ken responded positively.
- Manny indicated the IDCO ballot will pass overwhelmingly. We await Celina's updates to the rosters before a formal announcement is possible.
- Medtronic has offered to support the Secretariat position in TC215.
- IP announcements: when do we begin notifying members? Manny to ask Chris, Lisa for official position, desire to have PCD review in advance of F2F.
- PCD web page updates nearly complete. Remove from agenda.
- Pump F2F in May. Will not use Webex, but will have subsequent Webex meetings and update those interested.
The next meeting will be April 28, 2009 PCD Cochairs 2009-04-28 Webex
<For Decision Meetings, add review line here when minutes are approved; e.g., "(Reviewed & approved by PCD RTM Vent TG 2008-04-16)">