PCD Cochairs 2008-08-07 Webex

From IHE Wiki
Revision as of 11:29, 24 January 2009 by Efurst (Talk | contribs) (Next Meeting)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Patient Care Device Cochairs Weekly Meeting

Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008

Time: 3:00 pm, Eastern Daylight Time (GMT -00:00, New York)>

Duration: 60 Minutes

Proposed Agenda

Minutes – July 17, 24, August 7; July 31 meeting was cancelled
Action Items
IHE International (IP, quorum, elections)
Elections; recruiting candidates
HIBCC Collaboration

Attachments / Materials

Minutes of earlier meetings http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=PCD_Cochairs_2008-07-17_Webex, and http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=PCD_Cochairs_2008-07-24_Webex

Action Items Brought Forward

Number Action Owner Participants Due Date Status Comments
26 Open discussions on unifying efforts for device interoperability - facility for year 'round lab Ray Ken 7/31/08 OPEN Julian waiting for PCD to describe what we need; PCD waiting for proposal. This needs to be resolved. Todd and/or Ken will talk with Julian next week or early May.
38 Purchasing Guide for PCD Users Elliot 8/14/08 OPEN
55 Showcase vendor display policy Todd Ray, Elliot 7/17/08 OPEN Will include in draft Domain Governance document.

57 Develop PCD governance document. Ray Cochairs 8/14/08 OPEN Supplements the IHE governance document (e.g., quorum and non-quorum meetings). Depends upon Ray's discussion with Didi, see #63, 64.
61 Analyze, publish results of survey Ray 8/7/08 OPEN Survey still open.
62 Add Governance page to IHE PCD Wiki Todd 8/21/08 OPEN See #57, ITI as an exemplar
63 IHE Governance: IP, participation in F2F, etc. Cochairs 7/10/08 OPEN Add Quorum issues to Ray's discussion IP with Didi. Also see #64.
64 IP and patent issues - risks to IHE Todd 9/1/08 OPEN What if WG on a Profile runs into an IP or patent issue?
65 IHE and Continua Cochairs 6/5/08 OPEN Initial MOU exchanged.
66 Recruit clinicians; develop novel ways, attend to their priorities and schedules Cochairs Ongoing OPEN
68 IHE Board - Manny as alternate Ray Manny OPEN Manny to ask Didi if this is acceptable since he is secretariat
70 IEEE MOU Ray /08 OPEN Concern on two issues: use of IEEE intellectual property, need to establish mechanism to continue and maintain the RTM effort.
71 October F2F Cochairs Manny /08 OPEN No new responses. Manny to send reminder.
72 Google Groups - can PC, TC roll up to a third? LaVerne to post all PCD Google Groups to IHE table. Manny 7/10/08 OPEN



Chair: Todd Cooper
Cochairs: Ken Fuchs
Attending: Manny Furst
Guests: Robert (Bob) Hankin, CEO, HIBCC; Kirk Kikirekov, TC cochair, HIBCC; Lu Figarella, TC cochair, HIBCC; Paul Schluter, PCD


Item Topic Discussion
1 Introductions & Agenda Review
- Chair



2 Approval of Minutes
- Chair

Decisions/Issues: Deferred


3 Action Items Review
- Chair

Decisions/Issues: Deferred


4 HIBCC Bar Code/RFID Device Identification
- Todd
  • Todd provided background, introducing IHE as a standards-based organization but not an SDO. He described the HIMSS Showcase, PCD, and PCD’s earlier discussions about wristband ID.
  • Bob indicated that they have been in contact with FDA and HIBCC’s standard is one of two that will probably be part of their forthcoming UDI guidance. They are recognized by CEN and IEC.
  • Kirk indicated that the ANSI/HIBCC standard addresses IDs for patients, medications and devices and supports drug delivery.
  • HIBCC has largely been supporting supply chain issues. Apparently, barcoded patient wristbands are not commonly used in Australia or the US. Bob indicated that the IOM report on medical errors was the impetus for identification at the bedside. Bob noted that HIBCC has been involved in this area for 15 years. The current version has grown out of work with Partners/MGH.
  • HIBCC has affiliates in Europe, with approximately 30% of new users from Europe, Turkey and Asia.
  • Todd recommended that HIBCC join HITSP. Information is at www.hitsp.org.
  • Todd indicated that ITI or PCD would be the best point of engagement within IHE for HIBCC. Todd will engage IHE leadership to confirm the best fits.:* PCD cochairs and HIBCC will continue to explore ways to collaborate.
  • PCD cochairs and HIBCC will continue to explore ways to collaborate. Todd will send HIBCC a list of references for background information on IHE and specifically the PCD. We should also obtain an organizational overview slide set from HIBCC for use in promoting within IHE.
  • The two groups will coordinate electronically by the end of next week to set up any subsequent meetings and action items.
  • After the HIBCC representatives left the meeting, discussion of device identification:
After the HIBCC representatives left the meeting, discussion of device identification:
Companies may have OUIs, but PCD members likely have no idea who controls this.
Companies use serial numbers and other internally developed device id.
Vendor migration to OUIs, if not EUI-64 is a challenge for PCD.
Paul suggested developing a white paper. Todd suggested a PCD Wiki page. Paul brought up Ken’s suggestion that a unique session number be added (an additional ID to the EUI-64) in communications. Todd noted that the TF will contain an annex addressing device identification.


  • PCD and HIBCC to discuss the issues via email followed by a future meeting.


  • Todd will be in contact with HIBCC.
5 PCD Elections
- Chair
  • Manny referred to his email raising some questions on timing of elections, recruiting of cochairs. This will be placed on the agenda for the next cochairs meeting.



  • Place on agenda for next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be August 13 at noon EDT, instead of August 14. The page http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=PCD_Cochairs_2008-08-14_Webex directs people to the new page, at http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=PCD_Cochairs_2008-08-13_Webex

Reviewed and approved on August 28: http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=PCD_Cochairs_2008-08-28

PCD Home