Import and Display of External Priors
Import and Display of External Priors (IDEP) specifies the trigger events, transactions, and data mappings necessary to automate the discovery of relevant prior imaging studies and reports and the transfer between different facilities, i.e., “external priors”.
It is common for patients to move between healthcare facilities that serve a shared patient population. Many of these healthcare facilities already have a shared secure network infrastructure. Upon receipt of an order for a new imaging study, the IHE Radiology Import and Display of External Priors (IDEP) Profile provides a method to automatically retrieve images and reports throughout the shared network, independent of a common Patient Identifier. The exchange includes “localizing” the data such that both the radiology images and reports may be displayed in the same system in the expected manner for side-by-side comparison and report display.
- Provides ability to locate, access, and view external priors for direct comparison
- Particularly during the short time frame required for them to be relevant to reading
- Supports side-by side image comparison of current studies and external priors using local hanging protocols and viewing tools
- Reduces re-scanned patients (see Nagels, J., Macdonald, D. & Coz, C. J Digit Imaging (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-017-9963-8)
- Provides a consistent mechanism for retrieving external prior reports
- Minimizes impact on existing systems
- Importer actor does the bulk of the work
- Local PACS / RIS / EMR systems should require minimal changes to support
<A few paragraphs, if appropriate, providing more details (mostly in user-speak, not tech-speak) on what the profile does and how it works.>
<If the user might be familiar with the mechanisms used by the profile, you can mention them here. E.g. Evidence Documents is based on DICOM Structured Report (SR) Templates.>
<If the user might have an appreciation for the problems addressed in the profile, you can mention them here, but keep it short. E.g. Mapping HL7 Order fields to DICOM Modality Worklist attributes can be inconsistent in the marketplace, so Scheduled Workflow provides vendors with more detailed instructions.>
- PACS may receive and display external prior studies and respond to prior study search requests
- RIS / EMR systems may initiate external prior workflow, receive / display external prior reports and respond to prior report search requests
- VNA / EIR systems may execute the external prior workflow and manage the movement of external prior studies and reports
Actors & Transactions:
Profile Status: Trial Implementation
- [CT] Consistent Time synchronizes system clocks and time stamps of computers in a network (median error less than 1 second).
- [PIX] Patient Identifier Cross Referencing queries for patient identity cross-references between hospitals, sites, health information exchange networks, etc.
- [PDQ] Patient Demographics Query queries by patient demographics for patient identity from a central patient information server.
- [XDS.b] Cross Enterprise Document Sharing.b shares and discovers electronic health record documents between healthcare enterprises, physician offices, clinics, acute care in-patient facilities and personal health records.
- [XDS-I.b] Cross-enterprise Document Sharing for Imaging.b extends XDS to share images, diagnostic reports and related information across a group of care sites.
- [MHD] Mobile access to Health Documents provides a RESTful interface to Document Sharing including XDS.
- [IRWF] Import Reconciliation Workflow manages importing images from CDs, hardcopy, XDS-I, etc. and reconciling identifiers to match local values.
- [RD] [Results Distribution] specifies how radiology results (i.e., radiology reports) are exchanged.
The Profile FAQ Template answers typical questions about what the Profile does. <Replace the link with a link to the actual FAQ page for the Profile>
The Profile Purchasing Template describes considerations when purchasing equipment to deploy this Profile. <Replace the link with a link to the actual Purchasing page for the Profile>
The Profile Implementation Template provides additional information about implementing this Profile in software. <Replace the link with a link to the actual Implementation page for the Profile>
- Measuring the Benefits of a Regional Imaging Environment, Nagels, J., Macdonald, D. & Coz, C. J Digit Imaging (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-017-9963-8
This page is based on the Profile Overview Template