Import Reconciliation Workflow
Import Reconciliation Workflow (IRWF) manages importing images from CDs, hardcopy, etc. and reconciling identifiers to match local values.
Import Reconciliation Workflow Integration Profile specifies how data Importers obtain local demographics, coerce patient and procedure attribute values in the imported data and report progress/status of the importation process.
Reduce Errors and Enhance Patient Care
- Prevents missing data from other sites because the PACS is able to import data sent on interchange media and integrate it with the patient’s record
- Prevents mismatched patient identifiers in data imported from interchange media from other institutions because the PACS reconciles this information to local values at import time
Improve Data Accessibility
- Improves access to other sites’ data—the PACS can import and reconcile patient and diagnostic information on interchange media from other institutions and clinics
The Import Reconciliation Workflow Integration Profile specifies both the data and workflow requirements for importing existing Evidence Objects and importing Hardcopy from an external Enterprise. Worklists and Patient Demographics Query are provided as mechanisms to provide local patient and procedure information to be used in the process of reconciling the imported patient/procedure information. Procedure Step Completed messages enable subsequent workflow steps to occur based on the importation of the Evidence Objects. Reconciling critical patient demographics (e.g. Patient Name, Patient ID) and order/procedure Information (e.g. Accession Number) is an important part of the importation process since the local Enterprise will typically have different identifiers (for patient, orders, etc.) from the Enterprise that created the Evidence Objects or Hardcopy being imported. When the attribute values must be changed, this Profile provides a mechanism to preserve a copy of the original values inside the imported DICOM Composite Objects. This profile also makes it possible to determine whether images, reports and other evidence objects associated with a particular import have been stored (archived) and are available to subsequent workflow steps, such as post-processing and reporting.
Systems which are expected to have implemented actors from this profile include:
- Enterprise-wide information systems that manage patient registration and service ordering (Hospital information system (HIS))
- Radiology departmental information systems that manage department scheduling (i.e., radiology information system (RIS))
- Radiology image management/archiving (i.e. picture and communication systems (PACS)
- Display Workstations
- Reporting Workstations
Actors and Transactions
Profile Status: Final Text
The Import Reconciliation Workflow complements the Scheduled Workflow Profile by using the existing workflow mechanisms for notification and storage of imported Evidence Objects
van Ooijen, P.M.A, et al, Evaluation of the Use of CD-ROM Upload into the PACS or Institutional Web Server, Journal of Digital Imaging, Vol 19, Suppl 1, 2006, pp 72-77
- Discusses experiences with a process similar to the Scheduled Import Option of IRWF.
<Replace the Template links below with links to the actual pages for the Profile>
The Profile FAQ Template answers typical questions about what the Profile does.
The Profile Purchasing Template describes considerations when purchasing equipment to deploy this Profile.
The Profile Implementation Template provides additional information about implementing this Profile in software.
This page is based on the Profile Template