ITI CP Integration Process
To Integrate CPs
this is Gila's process
To check integrated CPs
20140724: These instructions are a first draft. If they are unclear or inaccurate, contact Lynn or edit this page to improve them.
Why: Integrating CPs into Final Text volumes and TI supplements is a task requiring attention to detail. It is beneficial for someone to check the integration work prior to delivering updated docs to the Documentation Specialist. This provides a "second set of eyes" on the documentation updates, and may prevent a future CP.
When: After CP integration is complete, before submitting a document for publication.
Who: Ideally, someone other than the editor who did the integration. Domain co-chairs assign this task to members of the Technical Committee.
(1) Find the document you are assigned to verify
- The editor who did the CP integration will send an email to indicate the document is 'ready' for you to verify
- He/she should have put the document in a directory with this naming convention: ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/CURRENTYEAR/Technical_Cmte/Workitems/Pre-Publication%20Drafts%20of%20TIs%20and%20TFs
(2) Identify the CPs approved for Final Text
- Find the directory following this naming convention ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/TF_Maintenance-CURRENTYEAR/CPs/3_FinalText/ eg. ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/TF_Maintenance-2014/CPs/3_FinalText/
- Open the excel file in that directory maintained by the CP manager
- The spreadsheet contains one row for each Final Text CP. The columns in the spreadsheet are:
- CP number
- Vol/Supp affected
- File location
(3) Identify the Final Text CPs that affect the document you are verifying
- In the spreadsheet, examine the "Vol/Supp affected" column to identify the CPs you need. Notice that some CPs affect more than one document
(4) Verify the integration
- Open the document to verify and a CP affecting the document. Ensure that "Tracked changes" is set to "Final showing markup" so you can easily see the editor's updates.
- In the CP, the changes are included beneath the CP's rationale. Interpret the editor's instructions as follows:
a. Editors instructions are included in a 'box'. This guides the editor to find the location in the document to make a change.
b. If the text in the CP just flat text (regular font), that means it has been copied from the TI or TF in order to help you find the position in the document where the change occurs. “Regular font” text in the CP is NOT a change to the Volume or TI.
c. If text is bold and underlined font, that indicates text that should be inserted
d. If text is bold and strike-out font, it means delete the text
(5) Repeat Step (4)
- ...until you have checked all CPs affecting the document you are verifying
(6) If you find no errors in CP integration...
- Send an email to the CP Manager and the document editor indicating that you are done and that the integration was flawless.
(7) If you find an error in CP integration...
- (This can happen because an editor missed something in the CP, or perhaps interpreted the intended change differently than you did.)
- Ensure "Track changes" is set to "On" in the document you are verifying.
- Fix the text to the way you think the CP should be applied.
- Save the updated document with a new name; append your initials to the existing file name, eg ITI_TF_Vol_2a_201xmmdd_draft_<yourinitials>.doc
- Upload the updated document to the ftp site in the same directory where you got it from: ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/CURRENTYEAR/Technical_Cmte/Workitems/Pre-Publication%20Drafts%20of%20TIs%20and%20TFs
- Send an email to the CP Manager and the document editor indicating that you have made a change
(7a) The editor will then...
- Check your update and resolve any associated issues.
- Email the ITI Tech Committee co-chairs to indicate that the CP integration is complete and verified and identify the version of the document that should be given to the Documentation Specialist for publication.