IHERO UseCase 2013 Query Retrieve In Radiation Oncology
1. Proposed Workitem: Query/Retrieve In Radiation Oncology
- Proposal Editor: Christof Schadt
- Editor: Christof Schadt
- Date: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Version: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Domain: Radiation Oncology
2. The Problem
The amount of data available throughout a work-flow in radiation oncology has been increasing over the years. One reason is the constantly increasing capability of imaging modalities of creating image information with smaller slice thicknesses, resulting in a higher number of slices. Another reason is the increasing number and variety of image series and related information.
Usage of Registration objects to combine multiple image data sets (as defined by the MMRO profile), and data created upon multiple image data sets results in a complex structure of references among a large set of information objects.
The actual problem then arises when searching for some specific information within this data or retrieving it in a timely manner.
3. Key Use Case
See also an older proposal, which dates back to 2006.
- Retrieve images, structures, plan from CTSim/Archive for planning
- Retrieve secondary images from an archive or a modality to assist in planning
- Retrieve plan and doses from other planning systems for comparison
- Retrieve treatment records and verification images for offline review
- Retrieve plan and dose for dose accumulation
- Retrieve a complete set of patient treatment planning data for clinical trials submission
- speed of retrieval (multiple associations, asynchronous associations)
- multiple sources of data
- identification on patient/series/object level
- relational dependencies of data (through registrations)
4. Standards and Systems
- DICOM Standard Query/Retrieve model as defined in PS3.4