IHERO UseCase 2011 TDD Data Integration
1. Proposed Workitem: Treatment Delivery Device Data Integration
- Proposal Editor: Mika Miettinen, email@example.com, +1 650 799 7665
- Editor: Sidrah Abdul/Rishabh Kapoor on behalf of Mika Miettinen
- Date: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Version: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Domain: Radiation Oncology
2. The Problem
Radiotherapy process includes typically several data transfers that involve treatment planning, treatment management system / information system (a.k.a R&V system) and treatment delivery device. It is critical that the data is transferred and interpreted consistently, coherently and safely between all systems that are involved in the radiotherapy process.
Recently a proposal was submitted to include Flattening Filter Free technique into the “Advanced RT Object” Integration profile, so that this new beam modality can be consistently implemented by the vendors to ensure safe treatment delivery. This is just one example of the need to create an integration profile that ensures the integration of the treatment delivery device to the treatment management system and treatment planning system. Currently there are no official, standard interface requirements to ensure the interoperability of the treatment delivery device and treatment management system, and to make sure that the data is transferred and interpreted correctly between the systems.
3. Key Use Case
- Treatment plan is created by treatment planning system
- Treatment plan is exported to Treatment Management System following the “Advanced RT Object” Integration Profile
- Treatment Management System imports the treatment plan following the “Advanced Object” Integration Profile
- Patient is scheduled for treatment
- Treatment Delivery Device requests the worklist (e.g. patient schedule) from Treatment Management System following the “Treatment Delivery Workflow” Integration Profile.
- Treatment Management System provides the worklist following the “Treatment Delivery Workflow” Integration Profile.
- Treatment Delivery System requests the treatment plan data from Treatment Management System/Archive following the extended “Advanced RT Object” Integration Profile.
- Treatment is performed.
- Treatment Delivery Device exports the treatment records to Treatment Management System/Archive following the “Treatment Delivery Workflow” Integration Profile.
Unsuccessful scenario example:
- Treatment Management system exports a treatment plan with flattening filter modality, but Treatment Delivery device interprets the data erroneously as standard beam modality. (See also Flattening Filter Free Mode – Integration Profile Proposal)
Without standardization efforts, the potential error sources in data transfer between Treatment Management System and Treatment Delivery Device are numerous.
4. Standards & Systems
<Include additional discussion or consider a few details which might be useful for the detailed proposal>
- <Why IHE would be a good venue to solve the problem and what you think IHE should do to solve it.>
- <What might the IHE technical approach be? Existing Actors? New Transactions? Additional Profiles?>
- <What are some of the risks or open issues to be addressed?>