Enhanced SOLE for AI
1. Proposed Workitem: Enhanced SOLE for AI
- Proposal Editor: Chris Lindop, Neil Tenenholtz, Rob Horn, Brian Bialecki
- Editor: <Name of candidate Lead Editor for the Profile, if known>
- Date: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Version: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Domain: <Domain name Radiology
2. The Problem
Healthcare providers have a strong desire to increase throughput and efficiency, both to improve the quality and timeliness of care and to control costs which include:
- Clinical workflow restructuring and optimization (existing in SOLE)
- Disaster support and readiness (existing in SOLE)
- Resource utilization and bottleneck identification (extended)
- Resource allocation for algorithms and workflows (new)
- Fault identification and troubleshooting (new)
3. Key Use Case
A study is acquired. An Orchestrator/Task Manager invokes one or more applications. I need to:
- Right-size the resources for an AI Application
- Allocate the resources to optimize the algorithm performance
- Decide how much CPU, accelerator capacity, memory, bandwidth, and storage are needed
- Determine the current uptime, response latency, request volume, and algorithm utilization
- Troubleshoot a problem
- Assess model licensing
4. Standards and Systems
SOLE, Standardize Operational Logging of Events
W3C Trace Context
- / www.w3.org/TR/trace-context-1 (V1, status: recommendation)
- / w3c.github.io/trace-context (v2, status: draft)
- This proposal is a result of an ad hoc committee formed within IHE/ACR to address “CP-458 SOLE: Add events to support AIR and AIW-I”.
- Detailed proposed changes were initially discussed as part of the IHE Maintenance and to be included in this workitem.
- With many proprietary methods available today and W3C developing the common standard, it is appropriate for IHE to converge on a single, industry-wide method that benefits community at large.
- This approach will leverage the existing actors/transactions in SOLE with enhancements that address the AI workflow and use cases outlined above.
Risks and Open Issues
- What to do about traced transactions using protocols that W3C has not specified (e.g. DICOM DIMSE, HL7 v2)? (out-of-scope?)