Cross-Domain Strategic Planning Work Group
A work group of the Domain Coordination Committee
Chris Carr, Todd Cooper, Emmanuel Cordonnier, Michael Nusbaum, Kevin O'Donnell, Karen Witting, Teri Sippel Schmidt
The Cross-Domain Strategic Planning (CDSP) Work Group was formed by the Domain Coordination Committee (DCC) in response to the IHE International Board's request for a
"first-cut" look at an IHE-wide strategic plan, taken from a "Domain perspective". While the Board is very interested in helping to guide IHE as an organization, it felt that
it initially needed to understand each domain's view on a strategic future, with some overarching recommendations, before it could mindfully engage in the process.
This initiative is being managed by the CDSP Workgroup in the following phases:
- Phase 1 - understanding current strategic planning processes, with an attempt to harmonize across domains (Complete)
- Phase 2 - articulation and documentation of each domain's strategic vision, looking forward 3-5 years (in progress)
- Phase 3 - harmonization of domain-specific responses, with analysis and recommendations for the IHE International Board
- A Report outlining a Domain perspective on IHE's Strategic Vision, including:
- a compendium of individual domains' strategic plan, and
- a cross-domain consolidated strategic vision, with analysis and recommendations
- 1 Oct 2011: Formal request issued to domain planning committees for strategic planning input
- 1-15 Oct 2011: Domain follow-ups and iterative communication
- 1 Dec 2011: Responses from domains due
- Nov 2011: face-to-face meeting of IHE International Board @ RSNA: Set general expectations for report presentation in February, with discussion and feedback.
- Feb 2012: face-to-face meeting of IHE International Board @ HIMSS12: Present and discuss report and recommendations, create action plan
Appendix & Supporting Information
A by-product of this work group is the development of a shared strategic vision to guide development activities in each respective domain.
- The uniformity of processes and work output across IHE domain committees, including suggestions of methods for improvement, have yielded the following areas of discussion:
- Coordination of committee work items to avoid redundancy and conflict
- Uniformity of work output and consistent use of constructs
- Definition and refinement of processes to lead to better outcomes
- Potential actions to help address these issues include:
- Enhance education materials and process, including Wiki, Webinars and templates
- Expanded oversight for IHE International Board and/or establishment of new oversight body to enforce compliance (peer volunteer group or executive/expert review board)
- Expand domain liaison relationships to strengthen links among domains, notably between medical specialty domains and IT Infrastructure and Patient Care Coordination domains
- Requirement of early, substantive, cross-domain review of supplement work proposals (could use Domain Coordination Committee)
- Perform strategic review of existing portfolio of profiles and identify gaps and overlap (for possible consolidation)
Proposed Agenda Topics will be scheduled for discussion at upcoming meetings.