Cross-Community Access - Images (XCA-I)
=1. Proposed Workitem: =Cross Community Access - Images (XCA-I)
- Proposal Editor: Chris Lindop'
- Editor: Chris Lindop
- Date: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Version: N/A (Wiki keeps history)
- Domain: Radiology
2. The Problem
XDS.b and XDS-I.b provide the framework and solution for cross-enterprise image exchange. A registry, a set of repositories and a set of Image Document Source actors form the basis of the imaging exchange in a comunity. For cross-community imaging exchange, XCA provides the frame work for exchanging the manifest, but not images. This proposal is to extend the imaging exchange framework to include the exchange of images between communities.
3. Key Use Case
An image document consumer requests images for a particular patient from an XCA initiating Gateway. The initiating gateway communicates with it's known responding gateways with the request. A responding Gateway provides a registry entry for an Image Manifest in it's community to the intitiating gateway. The manifest entry is agrigated and forwarded on to the Image Document Consumer whom requested the information. The Image document Source requests the image manifest from the initiating gateway. The initiating Gateway communicates with the responding Gateway to retrieve the manifest and routed back to the Image Dodument Consumer via the Intitiating Gateway. The image document source would like to retrieve the images from the system. A request is made to an initiating Image Gateway and forwarded on to the responding Image Gateway which retrieves the images from the Image Document Consumer and forwards on to the Image Document Consumer via the Initiating Image Gateway.
There currently is no concept of an Image Gateway. The proposal is to create this Actor pair to resolve the gap.
4. Standards and Systems
Image Exchange Systems, PACS, EMRs, RISs
- IHE is the logical choice for developing a standards-based approach to cross-community Image Exchange. The alternative is proprietary methods.
- The IHE Technical approach would be an extension or adaptation of the existing Cross-Community Access (XCA) protocol defined in ITI.
- The primary risk is that the behaviour would need to be constrained to leverage the existing protocol defined in XDS.b, XCA and XDS-I.b with the extensions needed to provide cross-community access of images in this profile.
extend in the same framework as the XDS-I.b framework has the Image access XDS.b/XCA framework <What are some of the risks or open issues to be addressed?>