Patient Information Reconciliation
From IHE Wiki
Patient Information Reconciliation (PIR) coordinates reconciliation of the patient record when images are acquired for unidentified (e.g. trauma), or misidentified patients.
PIR extends Scheduled Workflow to handle:
- unidentified/emergency patient
- demographic information updates
- patient name changes (marriage, etc.)
- correction of mistakes
- ID space mergers
Such changes are reliably propogated to all affected systems, which update all affected data. The result is a complete patient record.
In the example of the trauma case, images can be acquired (either without a prior registration or under a generic registration), and read and then later merged with the patients record when their identity is determined.
- Normal workflow proceeds even when the patient is unknown
- The patient record reconciles itself into a whole when the patient is identified.
- Eliminates confusion over which system should reconcile what where.
- Reduction of errors
- Reduces incorrectly identified or “lost” studies
- More complete medical record
- Supports maintenance of demographics to maintain database correspondence
- Flexible Trauma Workflow
<Get additional details from Radiology Handbook>
<Explain a few details about how
- the PACS is notified of demographics changes
- the RIS backfills orders
- the modality doesn't mess with anything
- Enterprise-wide information systems that manage patient registration and services ordering (ADT/registration system, HIS)
- Radiology departmental information systems that manage department scheduling (RIS) and image management/archiving (PACS)
- Acquisition modalities
Actors & Transactions:
Profile Status: Final Text
- Scheduled Workflow provides the data handling framework and is a pre-requisite for PIR
- Patient Identifier Cross Referencing and Patient Demographics Query can be useful to establish the demographics to reconcile
- Systems implementing PIR are expected to operate on all relevant objects, including those created as part of Radiology Content Profiles.
- Workflow profiles in other domains were developed after PIR was written and were able to embed the transactions directly.
The Patient Information Reconciliation FAQ answers typical questions about what the Profile does.
Patient Information Purchasing describes considerations when purchasing equipment to deploy this Profile.
Patient Information Reconciliation Implementation provides additional information about implementing this Profile in software.
<List References (good and bad) (with link if possible) to Journal Articles that mention IHE's work (and hopefully include some analysis) >
This page is based on the Profile Template